Chapter 11 - You Were Right

When Hunk burst into the room, breathing heavily, everyone turned to look at him. "I found him in the hangers but he's sitting in Red and he refused to leave. I tried to coax him out but I obviously failed. Red wouldn't even let his defence down for me." He explained, making Shiro chew on his bottom lip. If Keith was tuning everyone out, it must have been bad. Being angry was his first response to distress but sadness and isolation was his last resort, only when the worst happened.

"I'll go talk to him." Shiro murmured before taking off in the direction of the hangers. When he saw Red with his defences up, his heart broke apart a little: ​Keith always let him in. ​"Keith?"

"Go away, Shiro!" The yell rang around the hanger, bouncing off of the walls in a way that was almost suffocating to Shiro.

"No, Keith, you need to talk to me. I understand that you're upset but we can figure this out. We always figure things out, don't we? That's just how we work. We face the worst situations but we prove everyone wrong and get out of it."

"Shiro, leave."

"No, I refuse to until I know you're okay. I understand why you accused Allura and I'm sure I'd have jumped to a similar conclusion after everything that happened. It's obvious that you care about Lance and it's really nice to see. I don't know how we're going to make this situation better for you, considering your conflict with Allura but we're going to get through this. I'll do anything to ensure Allura doesn't kick you off the team. I'll even threaten to leave too if I have to."

"Don't throw your life away for me."

"Keith, let me. I love you, okay? I know you don't understand it but I see you as my brother. I want what's best for you and you must know that. I will not let Allura continue to treat you like you aren't better than the dirt on her shoe. You're going to be okay. I'm going to make sure of it. You just... You need to come out, alright? That's all I ask of you."

"No."

"Keith, please-"

"I said no! Just leave me alone!"

"I'm not going to give up, you know?"

"Why not, huh? You do know we're not actually related! You aren't my brother and you never will be. I'm alone right now and I'm always going to be. It's better that way." Keith was crying and that much was obvious in the way his voice trembled like the ground during an earthquake. Shiro could just imagine Keith, cooped up in his lion as he sobbed into his knees.

"It isn't. You need to open up."

"No, I don't... Just go away."

"Okay, I'll go but this isn't me giving up on you."

"Sure, whatever."

Shiro turned away, his breath hitching as tears welled up in his eyes. He took one last look at Red before leaving the hanger. The last thing he heard as he walked into the corridor was Keith's loud, desperate sob. It was as if someone had pulled his heart out of his chest and jumped on it until it was smashed into a million pieces.

"He didn't come out." Shiro whispered, hanging his head so the tuft of white hair fell against his forehead. Hunk sent Shiro an expression full of sympathy, knowing just how close Shiro and Keith were. Their bond reminded Hunk of his bond with his parents and just that minute reminder of earth was enough to feel like a bullet had been shot through his heart. "What are we going to do? If he won't come out for me-"

"He'll have to come out eventually." Allura decided to contribute, folding her arms and raising one eyebrow.

"True," Lance added before returning to chewing his bottom lip. Blood had long since bubbled to the surface. "But I'll try and talk to him. I'm the one who got him into this mess."