Chapter 16 - Fake It Until You Make It

It's precisely 1:40am and I can't sleep so what better time to upload!! I must warn you, shit gets real here. It's pretty intense in terms of, well... torture. Stay safe and maybe don't read on if that is something that could trigger you.

"Blue paladin, you're finally awake." The voice talking to Lance was deep and husky. His eyes cracked open and laid upon a Galran guard. His purple skin was covering his body so that only his face was being shown to Lance. His lively violet eyes drank in Lance's terrified expression. "You were out for vargas! We thought you were never going to wake up."

"Fuck off," Lance snapped, venom in his tone. "I slept very well, thank you."

"That's good to know because your peace ends right here, blue paladin." With that, the Galran soldier thrust out a fist that came in contact with Lance's eye. He swore loudly as he collapsed onto the ground, vision blurring. "You can make this easier for yourself by cooperating. It isn't difficult."

Lance snorted, trying to make himself appear more confident that he really felt. "It is difficult for me. I hate being told what to do. Ask anyone."

"You're a feisty one, aren't you? Of course we'd capture the annoying one."

"I can hear you, you know."

"That is the point," The soldier sent a kick flying towards Lance's face. He didn't have enough time to protect himself so the Galra's boot hit him in the chin. His lip split open and blood dripped down onto the floor. "Now, do you want to do this the easy way or the hard way?"

-

"Keith."

Keith didn't respond, choosing to punch the training bot with all of his strength instead. It stumbled backwards but didn't collapse. Keith charged towards it, slamming his fist into its chest hard enough to send a sharp pain through his wrist.

"Keith."

Letting out a loud growl, Keith tackled the bot to the ground. As it hit the ground, it faded into nothing. "Level 8 complete. Proceed?"

"Proceed." Keith murmured, clenching and unclenching his fist as he waited for the bot to reappear.

"Keith, you need to stop."

Keith ducked as the bot swung a punch, his movements a result of expertise. He grabbed the wrist of the robot before pulling it behind its back.

"Keith, come on."

He shoved the bot to the ground yet again, delivering a furious kick to its chest. A few ticks later, it faded into dust again. "Level 9 complete. Proceed?"

"No, Keith. Don't proceed."

Making eye contact with Shiro as he did so, he shouted, "Proceed!"

The bot reappeared, a long sword forming in its hand. Keith ducked as the robot swung the sword, the blade just grazing the tip of his hair.

"Keith, you're going to hurt yourself!"

"No!" Keith suddenly yelled, turning to face Shiro whilst his face burned a red colour. "I don't care if I hurt myself! Lance has gone because of me. I should have noticed. I should have seen the signs of suffering in him. I just- I wish I had done something that could-"

"Keith!"

The training bot swung its sword again but that time Keith hadn't been paying attention. The blade dug into Keith's cheek, immediately drawing blood from the skin. He fell backwards, eyes scrunched shut as the red liquid dripped down his face and onto the floor.