Never Again

Tired and drenched in sweat, Henrik walked out of the surgery room. He just finished with another successful surgery, now he found himself in his office writing a report about the surgery. One of his fellow doctors walked past by his office and stopped at his tracks "Nicely done, Dr. Schneeplestein."

Henrik waved off at him. He finished typing the last few things. He then leans back in his chair and stares off. "I should go home" he thought. "When was the last time I was home? Maybe one week ago? Two weeks ago? The others must be worried sick". He closed his eyes to rest them for a little bit. When was the last time he slept? All he did was work and work, keeping his mind busy at all times.

"Henrik..."

Henrik jolted awake. He looks around his office, that voice... He knew who that voice belong to."No, it can't be. Chase... he's been dead for years." Images from that night started appearing again. No, he needed to lock them away. He's heart started beating like a hammer, his breath quickening with each passing second. He clutched his chest, trying to calm down.

"Schneep, remember to breathe." He felt someone's hand on his shoulder, it felt comforting and his heart rate started to calm. "Breathe." the hero said; Schneep took a glance at him, he was in his civilian clothe instead of the iconic red and blue suit. "W-what are you d-doing here?" He managed to say between breathes, "Are the other's here too?" Jackie sighed, his hand still on the doctor's back "No, but they are wondering when are you coming home. JJ misses you," He paused, "we all do. Besides, you need to rest, I came to take you home whether you like it or not."

He didn't realize it until now, but he didn't have the strength to fight him this time. He nods and walks alongside Jackie out of his office.

"Guess who's back!" Jackie yelled when he walked in. Schneep felt nervous and tired, he craved for his soft bed. The rest of the Egos where in the living room playing some video games, they all turned and started at us while Jackie closed the door. "Schneep!" They all yelled at the same time. They all got up and ran towards them, he flinched when they got closer and Jackie noticed. "Woah, guys! Slow down, he's been working hard and needs his rest." Marvin walked in first, his hair was longer, when did it get so long? Marvin smiled at him "I'm glad to see you again, it's been very quiet around here."

Henrik nodded, he didn't think that it would make a difference if he was home or not. Then again, he knew it did make a difference. Not because of him, but because of Chase. Everything became distant, Henrik saw everyone talking to each other but he didn't hear their voices. His heart started racing once again, why Chase wasn't here? He should be here, not him. It was all his fault, Chase was dead because of him.

"Dr. Schneep?" Who was that? He was losing grip on reality again. What was going on? He fell to his knees, blurred shapes were all over him. "Give him some space!" I heard one of them yelled, "Hey, Schneep, look at me. Breathe, in and out." Once again, the hero stood in front of him holding both his shoulders to keep him steady. "Jackieboy, must I get Master Mcloughin?" He saw JJ behind him, concerned all over his face. "I can't believe I acted like this only being a few minutes back." Jackie opened his mouth but he cut him off "No, don't get Jack. I'm fine" trembling he stood up, he took a deep breath and composed himself. "Forgive me, I didn't mean to startle you."

Henrik walked passed his brother and into his room, he closed the door behind him and set down his things. He was exhausted, he then sat at the edge of the bed and buried his face on his hand. A soft knock was heard on his door. It opened and the hero's head pop up. "Schneep? Are you okay?" Jackie walked up to him and sat down next to him. "I haven't taken a break, I can't rest... you shouldn't have brought me home." He sighed, he knew he wasn't ready. "We are worried sick for you. Henrik, you need to stop blaming yourself for what happened. It wasn't your fault."