A long Journey Home

Steve and Bucky made their way to the 107th who cheered seeing they made it out live. "Well you son of a bitches made it out alive!" Dum Dum said with a joyous laugh along with the rest of the 107th chiming in their own opinions. "So who are suppose to be Ace?" Jim asked Steve, bring attention to the super solider, who in turn felt red from the attention, Bucky stood back smiling letting his friend establish himself with the unit. "I'm Steve Rogers, or Captain America, nice to meet all of you." Steve said with awkwardness that only Steve can create.  "Well Captain America, thanks for your help we wouldn't have escape with out you." Jim said giving Steve a hand shake followed by numerous of men thanking Steve for rescuing them. Bucky stayed in the background letting his friend get the attention that he deserve and more. Bucky felt proud watching his best friend be notice for what Bucky tried his whole life to have everybody see, Steve was a great person with an even bigger heart, he would help anyone he can even at the expense of his own safety, now people will be able to appreciate him and finally see, Steve had something special and Bucky was ok to share him with the world. Steve wasn't use to all the attention and praise, but he welcome it modestly, answering questions, joking around with the men, having a great time with the 107th. This was were Steve belong, the same unit as his father was in, walking in his foot steps, he was even happy to have his best friend with him.

"So how are going to get back to home base?" asked Gabe. Steve looked around before saying, "We walk" the 107th looked at each other, they couldn't believe what Captain America was saying, "WALK!?" the entire unit shouted all at once. Bucky and Steve took a few steps back by the force. "Yes, we walk the injured ride on the vehicles the rest will take turns, we will make it, we have too all of us survived Hydra, we can survive making our way back to base." Bucky said, taking authority getting the unit back on track and in military mode. Bucky laid out his plan, making sure the injure will make it back to base with the little medical supplies they have from Hydra, making sure everyone take turns riding on the vehicles when they need to rest. With everyone in position the 107th and Captain America made their way through the forest back to Italy. 

The 107th didn't really talk much, knowing they were still in enemies territory, the possibility of getting ambush was still very fresh in their minds. Bucky made sure to never make that mistake again, with these Hydra weapons everyone was sure they will take out anyone before they got close. Dum Dum and Jacques was out front near Bucky and Steve, the two were the craziest of the group and fearless for the most part, keeping them in front was beneficial, Bucky explained to Steve how the 107th worked and what worked best for them. Steve was overwhelmed, Bucky reassured him that he will learn just like he did. Steve was proud of Bucky, he always knew Bucky was smart, really smart, seeing him take charge of the 107th understanding everyone strengths and weakness really showed Bucky leadership skills. Bucky always had talent of bring out the best in people including himself, even now he don't think what he would do if he didn't have Bucky. Steve felt so grateful he found his brother alive at that Hydra base, Bucky didn't tell him what they did to him, but looking at his friend, he can tell, Bucky's been through hell, that innocence that Bucky had in his eyes was gone, replaced by the War that he been fighting in. But his friend was still himself just more protected and less carefree. 

"Let's rest here for the night, we can continue before the sun come up." Bucky commanded. The 107th let out a breath glad to be able to rest for the night, "The first watch take over, after 4hrs. the next team take over got it." Bucky said looking at his unit. "Yes Sir!" the 107th said getting in position. "You're good at this Buck." Steve said watching his friend take control and watching everyone do their job flawlessly, like a dance, no one was complaining, no one was trying to fight Bucky command, the 107th had respect for Bucky and trusted him, Steve smiled. "Yea, I have Ramona to thanks for that, when I first got here I don't think they took me seriously, but then she barked and growled at them, every since they've been great. I think they were more afraid of her then me." Bucky laugh thinking back to the event that seem so long ago. Steve nod his head, "Yea she always had that way about her." Steve was thinking about the dog that he missed so much, but was hoping that he will see her again soon. "Come on guys, come sit!" Shouted Dum Dum sitting near a small fire with the rest of the unit. Steve and Bucky made their way to the group enjoying chatting with everyone and getting to know everyone.

When the night quieted down most of the unit getting sleep, Bucky was finding it hard to sleep. He keep seeing everything flash before eyes; his first kill, his friends getting killed, John body disappearing before his very eyes, being Hydra experiment, everything was going through his mind like a movie and it didn't stop. Sighing Bucky got up letting someone know where he will be, before moving to an isolated spot not far from everyone. Bucky leaned against a tree closing his eyes thinking about his little girl that he let go. Bucky didn't regret his decision, Bucky made that decision in his mind a long time ago, before even coming to Astria. That didn't make the hurt lessen. Ramona was a pet, she wasn't a wild animal, what if something attack her, will she survive, will she be able to find food, will she know to stay away from skunks. Bucky had to laugh at the last one, she might not. Bucky felt tears fall, Bucky allowed himself to feel something, he allowed himself to feel everything, he needed it, he needed to just feel. Bucky really hope he made the right decision and didn't lead Ramona to her death anyway. Bucky couldn't help but to ask what happen to Red and all the other dogs that he was sure was with their handler that was capture. When Bucky was in there he didn't hear not one bark, or seen any animals. Bucky could hear all the night time animals, he remember when he took Ramona out to the cabin his friend let him rent out, he remember thinking, hearing the animals was way better then city life, and he stood by that statement. Listening to the night animals calmed Bucky, the tears was still falling, but having this peace of mind was helping.

Bucky took a deep breath trying to calm himself down, he really hope that Ramona was ok, that she was thriving and running around having a good time. He hope she will forgive him for shooting at her. Bucky really just hope he will find her, or she find him, he didn't care as long as the two was back together, thats all he wanted. Bucky took another breath looking around the surrounding area trying once again to catch a glimpse of his little girl before making his way back to the group. Laying down closing his eyes, sleep came easier this time around, his body was exhausted and it finally shut down allowing his brain to not think about all that he's been through. When it was time for the unit to move on, to continue their journey to Italy, Bucky felt like he was only sleep for just a minute, he wasn't ready to get up. Rubbing his eyes and giving a stretch he got up packing his things and moving out. Steve made sure Bucky was ok nothing how tired he was, Bucky just smiled at his friend saying, "I'm ok pal" patting Steve shoulder continuing the journey. Bucky felt better today, he also notice that his eye sight was much clearer, his hearing was better, changes so small that Bucky would've missed it if he was paying attention. He was sure it had something to do with whatever it was that Zola put in him. Bucky was flexing his fingers trying to find anything else that was changing but couldn't find anything obvious. The unit was continuing their journey so far they encounter a small group of Nazis, who was no match for them, after dealing with Hydra the Nazis was like worms just flick your wrist and boom their gone. "Man I sure miss NCO Ramona when things like this happen." Jim stated as they got done taking out the last of the Nazi camp taking their supplies. "Yea, she could smell them out and we hit them before they know what hit them!" Laugh Dum Dum the rest of the unit was laughing at memories of Ramona. Bucky was enjoy the half heartiness, "I sure hope we can find her." Gabe said missing the weird dog that was the back bone of this unit. "We will I know it! that big ass dog won't let anything get to her." Dum Dum said with a small smile.  "Hey guys look at this." Said Jim who was about to write his name in the dirt. "It's one of our own." The 107th made their way to were Jim was and all cursed throwing their hand ups taking off their hats. Bucky and Steve made it to the front of the group asking, "What's wrong?" Jim said "It's one of own, some dog is here." Bucky and Steve looked at each other then looking at the dog that was found by Jim. 

Bucky could only chock, he could recognize this dog anywhere, it was Red, the poor dummy look like he was shoot in the head after the Nazi, what appeared like they torture him before putting him out of his misery. Bucky cursed feeling his stomach turn, now really worried for Ramona. "We'll find her Buck don't lose hope, you took off her U.S. Military gear, i'm sure they'll leave her alone." Steve tried to reassure his friend. Bucky nod his head with his hand over his face, Bucky don't know how much of this he can take, loosing the people that you made friendships with, and bonded with, seeing what once was a young goofy, big red dog now left in this forest was becoming to much. "We need to bury him, he deserve better." Bucky said getting to work on giving Red a proper burial. The rest of the men agreed helping Sgt. Barnes bury their own in a more respectful way. They dug a hole near a river far away from the Nazi camp, Steve picked up the big dog and putting him in the hole that was dug for him. Bucky coved him up, he can only hope that both John and Red was together enjoying themselves and watching over their family. Bucky now had to find Ramona, he had to, with a set of new found determination on finding his little girl Bucky was hoping to all above, that Ramona wouldn't meet the same fate as Red.