~*The Fire*~

Delia stared at the mirror and hoped for the drama like makeover that moment. But it was not happening to her anytime soon or ever. It has been five days since she started a part-time job. It was true that the job was sucking the soul out of her. She could barely rest thanks to her insomnia and her overtired mind and body, she spent her day at the college, evening at the job and night time trying to complete her tasks and homework. Being a scholarship student she didn't want to mess it all up.

This was the best she could do for the dinner she was excited for.

"I can still lend you the dress but I can't help with those dark circles." Wendy offered as she herself dressed up for her weekend party with her classmates and friends.

"Um no, I think this is fine." She said pretty sure it was not.

"Who is picking you up?" Wendy asked as she skilfully put on some mascara.

Delia just looked at all the makeup on the dressing table in front of them, all of which belonged to Wendy. She could never afford any of it and thankfully she didn't desire. The best thing she had was a chapstick and eyeliner. And all that was already applied on her face that lacked luster.

Wendy did help her straighten her hair which was a mess before that since they were wavy and not in an organized glossy kind of way. She chose the blue blouse since it did make her eyes pop out and paired it up with one good pair of black skinny high waist jeans and a pair of black formal ballets.

"You look like you are going for a job interview for media." Wendy gave her a once over.

"That's the best I can do."

"Can you click a picture for me so I can see your prince charming at least," Wendy said.

"He is just helping me out," Delia said feeling that Wendy was exaggerating a bit and that was when she didn't even tell her about the kiss on the cheek that still made her heart thump.

"Fine, if you say so."

And with a sly smile and a see you later, she left.

She recognized the black car while she was waiting outside the studio after her shift at work. The lady at the reception desk was glaring at her for not working overtime today but she didn't really care at the moment as adrenaline made her jittery thinking about the dinner which in no sense was a date and yet it felt like one.

Paulo stepped out and gave her a kind smile and opened the back door for her and she noticed that it was empty.

"I will sit at the front." She said feeling guilty about making Paulo feel like he was her driver.

"No, please make yourself comfortable at the back seat." He said.

"I insist Paulo. I feel weird if I sit back." She said giving him a sheepish smile.

He gave in and opened the front door for her instead.

"So where are we going?" She asked starting the casual conversation.

"You will see." And with that, the talk was ended.

He drove in silence and the chaos in her heart worsened with passing second. Why was she even this nervous?  It was just a thank you dinner. 

She tried to enjoy the scenery outside when she realized that they were climbing up the hill. She should be feeling slightly terrified of meeting an almost stranger but she only felt excited. When they crossed the cafe sign, she knew the dinner was in his house. She felt a little deflated at the thought because she was supposed to buy him dinner.

But she didn't say anything to that as they drove for a little longer while Paulo remained silent all this while which was good because she herself was not a talker.