21.

posting this angsty chapter now so i can post a cute one on my birthday :)

also, foul language ahead

---

You honestly didn't know what was up with Jungkook. He seemed to be on edge lately with his irritable mood and constantly furrowed brows. At first, you just thought maybe he hadn't had enough sleep and had woken up on the wrong side of the bed, but when his bad mood stretched out to last for a few days, you thought you had something to do with it. So, you tried to leave him be when you could in case he was angry at you for something you didn't know about.

You were having dinner one night and both of you were quiet at the table. You had fixed one of his favorites in an effort to try to bring his spirits up. Seeing as how he was shoving forkfuls of food into his cheeks at a rapid pace, you grinned. "You like it?" you asked.

You expected him to nod and tell you that it was his favorite, so it would be hard for him to not like it. However, he sneered, "I wouldn't be eating it if I didn't."

You frowned and continued eating and when you were halfway done, Jungkook rose from the table, his plate empty. You swallowed, quickly wiping the food from your mouth. "Do you have to stream tonight?"

He turned. "It's Friday, isn't it?"

You nodded.

"Then yeah," he answered bluntly. He went to leave, but you followed up with another question.

"Do you need me to do anything before I go to bed, then? In case you're not done when I-"

"I don't know," he snipped, venom slipping off his words. "Shit."

The curse word made your skin crawl. He normally didn't use that language directed at you. You didn't bother saying anything more in case it made him even angrier. He left in a huff, leaving you to finish dinner alone – something you rarely did since he always stayed and talked with you if you weren't finished. He normally cleaned the dishes afterward, but you had to this time, nothing but a heavy heart to accompany you.

While Jungkook was busy in his office, you kept yourself busy with tending to household needs. You folded the laundry and tidied up the living room that was still messy from the movie night you had a week ago. You sorted through your junk drawers while on the phone with your mom since she had left you a text saying how much she missed your voice. And even though you were exhausted, you stayed up reading until Jungkook came to bed.

It was midnight when he came back. "Why aren't you asleep?" he asked, seeing you sitting in bed with the lamp on beside you.

"I wanted to stay up for you," you answered, saving your place in your book and putting it on the nightstand.

You saw the subtle eye roll your husband's deep, brown eyes did and you felt yourself shrink under the covers. Jungkook went to the bathroom and you heard him run through his nightly routine before he came to bed. He curled up and got out his phone and you watched him scroll through social medias.

"How did the stream go?" you asked quietly.

"Good," he replied simply.

"Are you okay, honey?" You raised up a bit. "You've been very off lately. Is there anything wrong?"

"I'm fine," he hissed.

"Did I do something?" you pressed. "If I did, I'm sorry. I don't even-"

Your husband turned to glare at you. "Would you stop asking so many questions? You didn't do anything." He turned back to his phone. "Fuck," he murmured, clearly annoyed.

You silenced yourself and rolled over to face your nightstand. You recoiled under your blankets and hugged your pillow tightly. What had gotten into him? Why was he being so harsh? You surely had done something but you couldn't figure it out. You gulped, feeling your throat strain as your eyes started to welcome tears. You didn't want to cry here. You weren't the most silent crier, and if you got up to leave, it would look even more suspicious. You squeezed your eyes shut in hopes to press the tears back. Why am I crying? Maybe we're both on edge about something we can't quite put our finger on.

Jungkook heard you sniffle and looked at your trembling figure beside him. He shut his phone off and laid it face-down on his nightstand. He felt guilt make a home in his stomach. He reached out to touch you, but his hand hesitated. He had hurt you without meaning to – would you even forgive him? He heard you whimper quietly before he placed a hand on your shoulder. "Honey," he called out. "I'm sorry. I... I've just been really stressed lately about some things and I'm sorry I took it out on you." His hand left you as he placed his head in his hands. "I shouldn't have an excuse. Never mind anything I just said aside from my apology. I mean that, (Y/N)."

"It's okay," he heard you squeak.

"No, it's not," he argued. He sighed. "I really liked dinner tonight. I wanted seconds, but I didn't want to say anything."

"You should have. I had some left," you answered. Jungkook noticed you loosened from the ball you had pulled yourself into.

Jungkook slid under the covers farther as he scooted closer to you. He placed an arm over you. "You don't deserve to be treated the way I treated you. Hit me."

"What?" You turned your head to look at him over your shoulder. Your eyes were starting to get a little puffy from holding back your tears.

"Hit me. I deserve it," he insisted.

"But... I can't hit you," you opposed.

"Sure, you can," he chuckled. "You take your hand and apply a great amount of force behind it to have it come into contact with my face. I know I wasn't the best at science, but I aced physics, remember?"

You brought your hand out of the covers and Jungkook braced for your slap, but he felt you pat his cheek instead. "Oh, come on, hit me harder than that."

"No," you giggled.

"You hit me all the time, but the one time I want you to, you won't?" Jungkook smiled, before kissing your forehead. "I love you, (Y/N). Even when I act like I don't and make you cry. I really suck for that."

You wiped your wet eyes at the mention of you crying. "It's okay. I love you, too."

"Do you forgive me? I'm sorry. I'll do better next time. If I don't, kick me as hard as you can. I know you can do that," he continued.

"I forgive you," you said, turning in his grasp to face him. "Do it again, and I'll do more than kick you."

Jungkook grinned as he pulled you into a hug. "I won't even be mad."

I don't think I could do anything to deserve you, (Y/N).

---