three

Arabella Morris

Today was May 21st, 1965. Also my birthday. I really wanted to spend the day by myself since I spend ever other day with stinky greaser boys. But, knowing them, I couldn't.

"Stay here." SodaPop said, pointing to a seat on the couch before walking away. If I'm being honest, I never expected any of the boys to remember my birthday, but it's almost like it's the first thing Soda thought about when he woke up. He invited me over to his house for a 'party.' These boys know how to throw a birthday party ? Huh.

I sat on the couch for about 5 minutes until Soda came back in the room, holding a big cake. My face lit up. I really was going to have a birthday party. The main thing I wanted today was for Dallas to remember my birthday. I don't know why but it just feels important.

I smiled at Soda and he sat the cake down on the kitchen table. Soda, PonyBoy, Darry, and I were the only ones at the Curtis' house since it was early. The rest of the boys should be here soon.

Eventually Pony woke up and came in the living room, wishing me a happy birthday. Soda brought out three presents from each of the Curtis brothers.

"You didn't have to get me anything." I said, a little concerned. They were low on money and I didn't want them buying me presents to make it worse.

"Wouldn't be a birthday party without them." Soda said from the kitchen. I decided to help them set up everything, it would be faster.

It didn't take long to set up everything and it was a lot easier since Darry woke up and helped us. I was honestly so excited.

It has been about 1 hour since we finished setting up. At this time, all the boys, except Dal, were here. I was a little sad that he didn't show up, but I was expecting to much from him anyway.

The whole cake had already been eaten, mostly by Steve and Two-Bit. But is anyone surprised?

For gifts, Soda and Pony got me clothes. Steve got me another switchblade. TwoBit got me a Minnie Mouse shirt, obviously. Darry got me a Vinyl record player and Johnny got me a book. Honestly, I was expecting a book from Pony but you never know with these guys.

Suddenly, the phone started ringing. Darry answered it. I couldn't quite hear who was talking or what it was about, but from Darry's facial expressions I could tell it wasn't good.

He hung up the phone. I walked over to where he was, waiting for him to say something.

"Dally's been in an accident." Was all he could say. My face went white. I ran out the door, hoping in Darry's truck. I didn't care if anyone was coming or not, I had to get to him.

I knew Darry would be mad about me taking his truck but I didn't care.

I pulled into the hospital parking lot and got out of the truck, pulling the keys out of the ignition.

I got into the hospital and asked the front desk lady if there was a Dallas Winston here.

"Room 432." She said, looking in her papers for a number. I just thanked her and made my way to his room. God, I hope he is okay.

I finally saw the room number 429 and counted the rooms until I found 432. Before walking in, I took a deep breath.

What I saw made my skin crawl, Dal was laying in the hospital bed, his face almost fully covered in blood. He had a few stitches here and there. I rushed over to his side and whispered, "oh my god Dallas..."

I pulled up one of the chairs to the side of his bed. I put my hand on top of his. He was either sleeping or in a coma. But either way, he looks awful. Bruises everywhere.

I couldn't stand seeing him like this. We weren't dating or anything, he even tried convincing me that the kiss we shared the other day was just 'in the moment' but I didn't believe it. We were friends though, and I couldn't stand seeing my friends hurt, mentally and physically. I then realized that I felt something for Dallas, something that made my heart flutter every time I see him, or even if I just hear his voice.

"please be OK." I said, grabbing on to his hand.

I felt a tear fall down my face, but I also felt his hand connect with mine. That sent shivers all over my body.

He shifted in his spot and said, "hey" just like nothing had happened.

"Christ Dal, you almost gave me a heart attack." I said, feeling a few more tears falling down my face.

"why are you crying..?" He said, his voice raspy from being asleep. He was confused as to why someone was crying for him. Just that alone made me cry more. He wasn't used to anyone caring about him.

I ignored his question and sat on the bed next to him, letting go of his hand and pulling him into a hug. Well really, I was just hugging him considering he could barely move.

"I'm so sorry.." I said, pulling away from the hug and reconnected our hands. I knew Dallas wasn't the 'romantic' type but I didn't care. I just wanted to stay by his side forever.

"I should be the Sorry one." He said. I gave him a confused look and said, "I don't understand."

"I ruined your birthday party." He said. I couldn't tell if he was frowning or not, considering all the blood on his face, but he remembered my birthday.

"It's not about me, I thought I lost you Dal." I said, moving from my current position and now lying next to him.

"Why do you care anyway?" He said, trying to turn on his side but whimpering from how sore he was.

"Because I lo-" I started to say but cut myself off. Woah. Did I almost tell Dallas Winston that I loved him? I didn't love him. We weren't even dating. But maybe I was. I was never getting out of this situation.

"I mean, you're my friend. I can't let you get hurt." I said, trying to cover up the fact I almost admitted my love for someone that could never love me back.

He tried smiling at me but whimpered again. I felt so bad for him.