Chapter 2 Pt 1 - Not a Date

November 11, 1994

November 11, 1994

"Do you have the grape juice?" James asked in far too serious a tone. Chemistry class would be pointless without him. Martha had spent her childhood at science museums, conducting experiments in the garage, and generally speaking the language with her father to the point that she could most likely teach this class. James was with her step for step – her partner in boredom.

"Yes sir, I have the grape juice at the ready," Martha answered, matching his gravity.

James squinted and said, "Are we... I was going for a magician vibe, but sure, we can do military... Okay Private, I don't need to tell you that grape juice is the most dangerous substance in the known universe."

"Sir, yes sir."

"Like, what are you doing?" asked a girl seated at the table in front of them. She had big hair and a crumpled face.

"Saving the world, Steph!" James responded in character. "A thank you would be nice."

Martha couldn't help but laugh. Stephanie glared at her before turning back. Each table in the lab was replicating the same experiment with the same equipment. James and Martha appeared to be the only table having fun.

He continued, "Do you have the NH3, street name 'ammonia?'"

"Three milliliters – no more, no less." Martha handed James the pipette of ammonia.

"What's our hypothesis, Private?"

"The grape juice will turn green, sir."

"Competing hypothesis?"

"Thermonuclear explosion?"

James smirked a beat, then returned. "Yes. Exactly." He held his left hand out to Martha. Without thinking, she grabbed it with her right. Her heartbeat quickened. As was often the case when she was around him, her palms had been sweating – but he didn't flinch. "Courage, Private... Courage." He slowly squeezed the ammonia into the cup of grape juice which changed from purple to green.

"Oh, thank God," James said. He released Martha and exhaled dramatically. "That was close."

Martha gestured to the rest of the class. "Look at them all – unaware how close to oblivion they came." She noticed Stephanie glowering again at their theater. "You're welcome!" Martha scolded. Stephanie rolled her eyes and turned away. For most of her adolescence, Martha would have been devastated by Stephanie's judgement. But none of it mattered when she was with James.

"Haters gonna' hate," James said with a shrug.

"What?" Martha asked, confused by the odd expression.

"Steph is a hater, and haters gonna' hate."