Chapter 9 Pt 1 - Prom

May 6, 1995

Martha pulled the black spaghetti strap over her shoulder and felt self-conscious about the amount of skin the sleeveless dress exposed. Then she reminded herself that he had seen it before. All of it.

James was downstairs with her father. She'd heard the doorbell and muffled greetings ten minutes prior, but felt no rush. He was early, and this way, she could perform the 'grand reveal from the top of the staircase' cliché. She rolled her eyes then checked her makeup and hair.

Earlier that day, Camisha had taken her to a salon where they straightened her hair then styled it in a flower bun with curled side bangs. She took a deep breath. The whole of her cynicism couldn't deny that all the fuss had paid off. She was stunning.

She opened the jewelry case holding the last piece of the ensemble. It was a necklace with a sterling silver Hecate symbol pendant. "Mommy's maze necklace," Martha used to call it, because of its resemblance to an overhead view of a labyrinth. Presently, she wondered how many girls were standing in front of their mirrors, and how many of their mothers were standing with them.

She heard her father's unmistakable laugh, muffled through the floor, and surveyed her reflection one last time. With nothing left to primp or prep, she opened the bathroom door.

"I think that's her," her father said.

Martha heard shuffling below and sure enough, as she reached the top of the staircase, there they were. Her father, camera hanging from his neck, gasped. James, predictably impeccable in his black tuxedo with straight black tie, appeared unsurprised but nevertheless wore as wide a smile as Martha had seen upon him.

Steven broke from his stupor. "Hold on. Don't come down yet." He lifted his camera. "Just stay right there..."

He began taking pictures and Martha glowered. "Dad."

"Come on, Marty. It's your prom for goodness' sake. Please, just one smile? Please?"

James stood behind Steven and flawlessly mimicked him. While he kept his mouth closed, he nailed the slouched shoulders, raised eyebrow, and vexed mannerisms. Martha laughed and Steven pounced – clicking and winding, clicking and winding. "That's it, Marty. So pretty. So..." He lowered the camera, sniffled, and wiped a tear out of the side of his eye.

Martha started down. "Are you crying?"

Steven sniffled again and laughed. "Huh... Yeah, I guess I am. It's just... You look so..." He exhaled sharply. "Hoo! Wow. Sorry... I don't know... I just..."

Martha reached the bottom of the staircase. "It's okay. Jeez."

Steven hugged her. Over his shoulder, she raised her eyebrows to James. What the heck is his problem? Steven released her, turned and hugged James. Over his shoulder, James squinted and nodded to Martha. It's okay. Let him have this moment, she read. Steven released him and said, "James. Remember what we talked about."