Chapter 6 Pt 1 - The Game

December 3, 1994

Headlights flashed the last of the clean snow, driven into the curb of the school parking lot. A storm had hit the week prior and this time, unlike in October, the hit had landed. But the roads were long since plowed and what once was feathery and white was now hardened and mostly gray.

Martha picked at her fingernails as her dad whistled along with James Taylor and followed the winding snake of cars through the lot.

"Do you know what position he plays?" he asked.

"He's five-nine. Gonna' guess he's a guard," she answered.

After science, basketball was Martha's strongest connection to her father. He had taken her to at least one Lakers game a year since she was seven. While he kept from her his shame from unemployment, his sorrow as a widower, his basic thoughts on life, death, and God – she knew how to space a fast-break or defend a pick and roll. He was fully engaged in her life and offered her all the intellectual and emotional support she wanted – sometimes quite a bit more than she wanted – but kept himself hidden.

"Is he any good?" he asked.

Martha had considered if or how James' condition would benefit his play. He'd told her that every life played out uniquely from the rest. It was safe to assume that every game would play out uniquely as well, so he probably wouldn't be able to predict each drive, pass, or shot. Maybe not ever needing to study for school meant he could spend more time at the gym. That would be an advantage. "Dunno. He doesn't talk about it much."

"Well, I'm excited either way. It feels so ritualistic – like we're initiating ourselves into the tribe."

"Wow, Dad."

"What?"

"So nerdy."

Steven shook his head as he came to a stop in a space and turned off the car. They got out and he said, "So the plan is..."

"I'll sit with friends and you'll sit over with the other parents." Martha said. "Sure you're cool with this?"

"Yeah, yeah. I just came to watch the game." They stepped onto the sidewalk and continued toward the entrance. "And then afterward you and James-"

"James will give me a ride."

"To..."

"Somewhere... Coffee. I don't know."

"'Somewhere' sounds fun."

"Hardy har, Dad."

"I trust you, Martha. Tell me our deal."

"Seriously?"

"Just tell me. It makes me feel better hearing you say it."

"If I'm drunk or if my ride is drunk, I call you. You pick me up, no questions asked."