Chapter 1 Pt 2 - An Unlikely Pairing

The bell rang and the students that were still in the hallway broke toward their classrooms. Martha checked a clock on the wall as she passed. 7:44. Must be a warning bell. She wasn't anywhere near her class after making a wrong turn finding her locker.

It was amazing how quickly her confidence had fallen once James had left. Walking the crowded halls, she couldn't help feeling like an imposter. Every time she made eye contact with a passing student, she saw their accusation. "Who the hell does this green skinned, bug eyed freak think she is?"

She turned the corner as the second bell rang then entered the first room on the left to find posters of Mark Twain, John Steinbeck, and William Shakespeare on its walls. Twenty some students were readying themselves – some more than others – for the start of their English Literature class. For an agonizing moment, Martha stood by the door exposed and without a place.

The teacher – a thickset woman in her mid 40's – sat at her desk at the front of the class marking an attendance form. She noticed Martha and asked, "Are you Martha Beckett?"

Martha nodded.

"Welcome. My name is Mrs. Hernandez. You can take the open desk in the back of the third row."

Martha made her way to her desk. She kept her head down but felt forty some eyes trained on her as she paraded up the aisle. She vowed to be early to the rest of her classes to avoid the full spectacle.

Mrs. Hernandez walked to a cabinet, retrieved a book and gave it to the boy at the front of Martha's row. He instinctively passed it to the boy behind him who continued the chain until it reached her. Mrs. Hernandez said, "Martha, we just started 'Lord of the Flies' two weeks ago. Have you read it?"

"No."

"Well, do your best to catch up," Mrs. Hernandez said with a condoling smile.

She seemed kind. Martha felt bad lying to a woman offering her kindness. That the people who deserved her honesty the most were the easiest to fool was dispiriting. Martha had, in fact, read the book the year before and written two essays on it. But lying meant she wouldn't need to speak in class for a couple of weeks and disappearing was her sole priority at the moment.

The hour went by faster than Martha liked. Sitting in the back row meant the class faced away from her and she enjoyed the break. With five minutes left, Mrs. Hernandez said, "All right, that will be it for today. Feel free to spend the remainder of the hour reading ahead – I want you through chapter three by tomorrow. If you find it necessary to talk, please keep it below a roar."

Everyone talked.

The girl in front of Martha turned and said, "I'm Camisha. Your name's Martha?" Camisha had jet black hair parted on the side and wore a checkered flannel shirt tucked into bleached jeans. She was direct, but Martha detected no malice. She seemed normal. After her morning, Martha was desperate for normal.