Chapter 9 Pt 2 - Facing Her Dragon

James and Martha entered the country club and followed the thump of bass down a hallway and to the ballroom. A middle-aged woman sat at a card table in front of a star made from red and black balloons that framed the entrance.

"Mr. Quinn," she said. "My heavens, you look dashing!"

"You're too kind, Mrs. Benson," James responded. "Is that a new haircut?"

Mrs. Benson smiled and patted the sides of her feathered hair. "Why, yes."

"I love the highlights," James flattered.

Mrs. Benson failed to suppress a giggle. Like a friggin' schoolgirl!

"You have to be careful, though," he continued. "People are going to mistake you for one of the students."

"No they're... Mr. Quinn..." she stammered. "You are just too sweet."

James handed her their tickets.

She took them and said, "I don't believe I've met your date."

"This is Martha," he said. Martha held her hand up as a timid greeting. James continued, "She's a junior and she's brilliant. So you'll have the pleasure of teaching her Angelou and Frost next fall."

Mrs. Benson smiled at Martha. "Well, I look forward to it."

Martha smiled politely.

"But keep your eye on this one," Mrs. Benson said, motioning to James. "He's a real trouble maker!"

"I'll do my best to keep him in line," Martha said.

"Oh, the two of you!" James exclaimed playfully. "Well, we better get inside."

"Of course. You two have fun," Mrs. Benson said.

James and Martha left Mrs. Benson beaming and walked through the star. It took a moment for Martha's eyes to adjust from the harsh hallway to the mood lit ballroom. More black and red balloons ran the length of the walls like apocalyptic rainbows. She wasn't sure if the prom had a theme. But if I had to guess... 'Hooray for Balloons?' Round tables surrounded three sides of the sparsely filled parquet dance floor. On the fourth, the DJ transitioned from C+C Music Factory to Ace of Base on his dual CD player while his lighting equipment swung the full spectrum around and across the ceiling.

James gave Martha's hand a subtle pull to the left and she turned with him. They passed students seated or milling about and received the expected calls for James' attention. Finally, they reached the table where Camisha and Calvin sat.

"Hey girl!" Camisha said. They hugged while James and Calvin slapped five. "Dang, you look fuh-lie!"

"Thanks, but what about you?" Martha gushed. Camisha wore a white, floor length dress, its torso glazed with glittering rhinestones. Calvin's tuxedo was white to match. Martha continued, "You're so beautiful."