chapter three - fancy

"LEARN THE LYRICS, Freddie!" Brian hissed at
Freddie as they were onstage. Freddie was having a good time, strutting around the stage and singing 'Keep Yourself Alive' while shaking a tambourine.

Despite the racial slurs and protests before the show had even begun, Freddie was having a lot of fun.

Valerie was standing with Mary, a girl Freddie had met with before the show. He had introduced them, and they spoke for a while before the show started. Mary was watching Freddie in slight awe and adoration, but Valerie was focused on everyone, even more so John, who was hopping and dancing in place. It was quite entertaining.

      Everyone in the audience seemed to be enjoying the show. Valerie certainly was, dancing along

Freddie ignored Brian and continued to sing, more than once bumping into Brian and grinning widely at him, to which Brian gave a weak smile. Brian caught Valerie's eye from the audience and grinned at her, rolling his eyes at her dancing. She shrugged and continued, Mary laughing all the while.

Valerie was enjoying herself as she danced around before she felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned around, and it took a moment for Valerie to recognize her friend, Payton Fancy.

The two had met in Spain when Valerie moved, and wrote letters after Valerie left for college. They were the best of friends.

Valerie had grown up in Mexico for eighteen years with an Irish mother and a Mexican father, and spent her summers in Ireland. They moved to Spain when it was time for her to go to college, even though Valerie went to Britain anyway. You can imagine the odd accent Valerie had, a muddled version of a Spanish accent mixed with Irish and a hint of British.

Payton was somewhat the same, though she was British through and through, her parents were from the states, but they moved to Britain when she was quite young. Payton was a few years older than Valerie, and was already living in Spain by herself when they met.

"Payton, when did you get here?" Valerie asked as she attacked her friend in a hug, a flurry of ginger and blonde hair as the two of them laughed.

"Just a few hours ago. I phoned up Brian and he told me about the show." Payton said, beaming as she pulled away from the hug.

"Oh, how great! I'm glad he told you. You finally get to see him perform." Valerie said sincerely as she caught Brian's eye again. He smiled and nodded to Payton, who nodded back.

"I can't believe you're here. This is amazing!" Valerie said, letting Mary know she and Payton were getting drinks before they walked off, sitting at the bar and each ordering a beer.

    "And I'm here to stay." Payton said, making Valerie gasp.

"Shut the fuck up. You're joking." Valerie said, and Payton shook her head, starting to smile when Valerie started to laugh with delight.

     "Oh! That's great. Now we don't have to write letters anymore."

      "There was a bit of drama. Mum and Dad got divorced. Mum became addicted to alcohol. I hated leaving her, but I had to get out of there, y'know?" Payton said, and Valerie frowned, nodding in sympathy.

"Sorry for ruining the mood." She apologized, turning back to the band, taking her beer and going back to Mary. Valerie sighed and walked after her, grinning at John, who had caught her eye.

John winked at her, making her heart skip a beat as he continued to perform. The concert continued for about an hour, and by the end many people were cheering. Valerie had enjoyed it a lot, and had become a bit tipsy from drinking a bit too much.

"I think you drank a bit too much, Valerie." John said as he wrapped an arm around her waist to keep her from falling. She giggled, rolling her eyes.