chapter forty two - the wedding

sorry this took so long to publish! I had a severe case of writer's block. I've gotten over it, though. this chapter is going to be kinda long; hope you enjoy it! also, excuse any typos. I finished this super late and I don't feel like editing it :,)

VALERIE'S TIRES CRUNCHED on the gravel of her and John's driveway as she arrived home from Payton's bachelorette party that she'd gone to the night before.

    She and Florence had gotten along much better that night, and had even paired up (and won) a few games of charades.

     Now, Valerie was exhausted because she had stayed up late with the girls. They'd had loads of fun, but Valerie hadn't gotten enough sleep, which probably wasn't good for her, but she'd defend her decision until death.

     She was planning on calling John once she got inside to tell him about the party. He - along with the rest of the band - wasn't going to be getting back from the studio until next week, about five days before Brian's wedding so Brian could have his rehearsal dinner and whatnot.

      She sighed while she turned off the Billy Joel album she'd been blasting, cutting off the last few notes of 'Stop In Nevada.' She sat in her car for a moment, watching the wind blow the leaves in the trees before she stepped out of her car into the muggy August heat. She didn't feel like getting out of the car considering how sore her feet were.

     Placing a hand on her back while she walked her swollen feet to the front door, Valerie fumbled with her keys as she tried to get the door open.

    When she finally got inside, she stopped in her tracks, her purse falling slightly off of her shoulder.

    Inside, the hallway was illuminated with candles, and it had the overwhelmingly wonderful scent of freshly cooked food. And there was a record lightly crackling, playing a song that Valerie couldn't quite distinguish yet.

    Valerie smiled to herself while she set the keys in the bowl, putting her purse up on the coat rack. She pulled off her shoes, sighing with relief, as she headed slowly down the hallway.

     "John, I thought you weren't getting back until next week," Valerie said when she turned into the dining room, gasping when she took in the beautiful set up. There were two places set, and a huge bouquet of sunflowers resting in a vase in the middle of the table.

"Valerie? Oh, you scared me,"

"I scared you? I come home and my house has been lit with candles and there's music playing. For all I knew, you could've been a satanist that took over my house." Valerie said, making John roll his eyes while he wrapped his arms around her waist to pull her in for a kiss.

"Because that's just so common in England, yeah?" John teased her, and Valerie gave a small laugh while John knelt on the ground before Valerie, giving her stomach a kiss, a small action that always made Valerie smile.

"And how's my little one?" John asked, only briefly making eye contact with Valerie.

"Moving all the time. She must get the dancing gene from you." Valerie teased, ruffling John's hair before he stood up to kiss Valerie's cheek lightly.

      "Ah, I figured she would. A skill like that can't be left behind, y'know."

      "Of course not." Valerie giggled while John led her to the table.

"I made dinner for you. As a surprise, y'know. And I actually followed the recipe," John said softly, and Valerie raised her eyebrows.

     "Oh? Stepping up our game, Deacon?"