chapter fifty - the promise

yes, I'm alive, and yES this chapter is super long lol

hope y'all enjoy it!
there may be some mistakes bc I was too lazy to reread and edit fbsjdjwk

"VALERIE?" ANITA ASKED, startled when she found Valerie sitting on the floor of the bathroom at the studio where the band was recording their new album.

      "Anita, hi. How're you?" Valerie asked, smiling weakly at the other red headed woman that was standing before her.

     "I guess I forgot to lock the door." Valerie said with a thin laugh while Anita furrowed her eyebrows at her.

    The stall door hit Anita's side twice before she stopped it and kneeled down in front of Valerie.

     "Are you okay, love? You look ill." Anita said, touching Valerie's forehead with the back of her hand.

     "'S alright. I'm alright."

     "Oh, are you..... is it an eating thing? Because I think you're absolutely beautiful. You shouldn't-"

     "Oh! No, no. It's not that. I'm just sick is all." Valerie said, slumping against the wall, smiling slightly.  "I might be pregnant, actually."

     "Pregnant! Oh, wouldn't that be lovely. I love babies," Anita said excitedly before she sighed and leaned against the opposite wall of the stall, her and Valerie's knees touching. "Have you done a test yet? To be sure."

      "No. I think I've been afraid to, honestly," Valerie said, leaning her head against the wall and closing her eyes. "Maybe if I don't acknowledge for a longer time, it'll stay for a longer time." Valerie said quietly, and Anita's eyebrows knitted together.

      "Oh, Valerie." Anita said sadly. She knew what Valerie had gone through. Valerie herself had told her. But this just saddened her. "Don't be like that. It'll be okay."

      "We don't know. We can never know until it happens. I'm afraid to lose it again." Valerie said, sniffling.

      "Ah, love. Here," Anita said, reaching into a purse and handing Valerie a handkerchief so she could dry her eyes.

      "Thank you," Valerie rasped, and Anita nodded.

    "It's just.... you know I'm old, Anita. Same age as Brian. A bit too old to have a kid, y'know. The risk to lose the baby is higher."

      "But that doesn't mean you'll lose it again. You have to have hope, Valerie. I do. In fact, I have very strong faith in you, and I have a feeling you will have this baby." Anita said, and Valerie smiled sadly.

      "Y'know what? Let's go into town real quick. Let's get you some water and a pregnancy test."

      "Anita-"

     "No, no. This is happening, Valerie. Let's go get your purse." Anita asked as she struggled to stand from the floor.

      When she finally gathered herself, she offered Valerie her hand.

      Valerie looked at Anita's outstretched hand and then looked at the small smile on Anita's face.

     Sighing deeply, she took Anita's hand and stood from the floor.

     "Alright, we can get some snacks out, too." Valerie said and Anita smiled, linking her arm with Valerie's.

      "Lovely. I was hungry anyways," Anita said cheerfully as she and Valerie walked, arm and arm, out of the bathroom.