chapter forty five - the argument

yet another long ass chapter lmao
it gets really dramatic really quick

so

y'all have been warned

ps I didn't proofread this so there might be some spelling errors!

"WE'RE DOING A movie called Highlander." John said one evening while Valerie was reading on the bed, propped up on pillows.

     "Along with the album?" Valerie asked, looking up from the book she was reading, pushing her reading glasses back onto her head, pulling her red hair along with them out of her face.

      "In a way. Freddie doesn't want the album to be entirely made for the movie. He wants to make an album and just have songs featured in the movie, y'know?" John asked while he unbuttoned his shirt, throwing it onto the bed.

       "Yeah, I understand." Valerie said while she glanced down at her book again though she wasn't really reading the words.

       "John, I've been thinking a lot,"

      "That's not surprising. You're very smart." John said while he tugged on some pajama pants, lying down on top of the bed sheets next to Valerie, not bothering to have put on a shirt.

       Valerie laughed slightly, running a hand through his short hair. "Well, yes, I do tend to overthink, but this has been running in my mind for quite a few months now." She said, and he raised his eyebrows at her.

"Yeah? What's wrong?" John asked, and then gasped, a smile forming on his face as he sat up. "Are you pregnant again?"

"What? No," Valerie said, though she couldn't help but laugh at John's reaction. "Do you want more kids?"

      "Maybe just one more...." John mumbled, smiling while he lay his head in Valerie's lap.

      "Michael's not even one yet, I'm gonna have to ask you to wait on that one." Valerie said with a laugh while she traced her finger along John's jawline and down to his chest.

       "No, something else. I think I want to quit my job for a while." Valerie said, and John looked at her.

      "Do you? I thought you loved teaching." John said, his brows furrowing while he intertwined his fingers with Valerie's.

"I do. I do. But I want to spend more time with the kids. Sure, Elena and Mary June are at school, and Eddie is at daycare part of the day, but I miss them. I feel like I'm not here enough. And then you're going off to record soon, and then you'll go on tour, and I don't want to be away at work for that." Valerie said with a sigh as she looked down at John, who was pensive.

"Valerie, my love, I don't want you to feel like you have to quit your job because of me."

"That's not what it is."

"That's what it sounds like. Valerie, I'm sorry I can't be here all the time, but we're a band. We record, and we go on tour." John said, sitting up to face Valerie directly, their faces inches apart.

"I know. That's your job, and you love it. I would never ask you to leave it, but-"

"I would never ask you to leave yours. And I haven't."

"Yes, I know, just let me speak, John," Valerie said, her voice rising as she got out of bed, distancing herself from John.

"Okay then, go ahead. I'm sorry." John sighed, gesturing for Valerie to continue while she paced in front of the bed.