chapter fifteen - all that jazz

IT WAS ONE week before Queen was leaving for America, and Valerie was spending as much time with the band as possible. That week, she had plans to go out with each member of the band to do different things with them just so she would spend time with them. She had a whole day/night planned with each of them.

"Oh, I'm going to miss you guys." Valerie said. They were all lying on a few blankets she set out in the middle of her empty living room, simply talking and smoking. She was planning to move out into the house soon.

"So you've said for the umpteenth time today." Brian said, earning a smack in the arm from Valerie.

"Well it's true! And I'm worried for you, Brian. Last time you guys went on tour internationally, you got hepatitis." She said, and Brian sighed.

   "But I'm okay now! I promise, I'll be careful in America. The only reason we'll be coming home early is for your graduation." Brian said, reaching over to tap her nose.

   "Don't do that. Don't take a break from your tour just to come see me graduate!" Valerie said, sitting up and looking at John, who's head was resting on her lap.

  "Pish posh, darling! We'd be coming to see you, and I think that's a very good reason to stop the tour for about a week." Freddie said to her, messing with the sleeve of her sweater.

  Not one of them told her that her graduation had already been taken into account, and that they were already scheduled to come back for that week and surprise her.

   "I'm sure we could make it work. Reid might not like it, but we have to see you." Roger said, trying to get Valerie to lie back down.

"No, I won't stand for it!" Valerie exclaimed just as Payton opened the door with boxes of pizzas in her arms. Periwinkle came in just before her and she rolled her eyes.

   "Won't stand for what?" Payton asked, confused, as she closed the door. Obviously, the sight of the band and Valerie curled up together on blankets wasn't odd on its own, but the arguing was something else. Wait, never mind. That wasn't odd either.

   "If she's sitting down, she isn't standing for anything." Periwinkle noted as she sat on the couch. Roger laughed a bit and rolled his eyes, tugging affectionately at a strand of Valerie's hair.

   "The band wants to take a week off of their tour just to see me graduate." Valerie explained to Payton and Periwinkle. Payton came back from the kitchen and gave Brian a kiss before sitting on the floor.

"Take the opportunity, lovey. It's not everyday you'll have a famous band at your graduation." Periwinkle said, and John flushed a bit.

  "We aren't famous," he chided.

  "Oh, honey, no. You're famous." Periwinkle replied, and John sighed a bit.

   "She's right, you know. Payton, am I allowed to eat the pizza in the kitchen?" Roger asked as he stood from the floor.

   "No, you're not. It's only for the gold card members." Payton said, and Roger rolled his eyes.

   "Yes, of course you can, idiot. That's why I bought it!" Payton exclaimed, ruffling Roger's hair. He wrinkled his nose at her.

"I'm going out later. There's this jazz club I love going to. You should join me." Periwinkle said from the couch as Roger took her hand to help her stand and lead her to the kitchen.

She was fully capable of walking to the kitchen herself, she just liked Roger.

"Oh, darling, I'm sorry. I'm going out with Mary, Brian, and Payton later." Freddie said as he stood just to stand up. Valerie offered him her hand and he lifted her off the floor.