chapter thirty eight - the murder of the meyer lemon

VALERIE AND HER mother were a high source of stress for John. Though June had been happy at first, she and Valerie were now getting into arguments about what would happen when John toured, and whether it was good for the baby.

     "It's not like he's leaving forever, mom." Valerie said thinly, throwing down the towel she had been using to wipe down the kitchen counters.

      She and John had attempted a new recipe, and he's made her laugh so hard about something so stupid that she spilled tomato sauce on the counter. But John was also just a messy cook, so she had to deal with that mess, too.

      "Might as well be. Between tours, recording , and press tours, your child might as well not have a father." June pointed out while Valerie slammed cabinets of cleaning supplies shut.

     Valerie turned on the water faucet and let it run over the dirty dishes she had to wash. She refused to look at her mother.

      "During recordings, most of the time, we don't have to travel for that. I'll come home everyday after sessions." John said, leaning against the counter to talk to June, his shoulders rigid as he watched June pace the kitchen.

     "But you go on tour for months. And it's not like Valerie is home all the time."

      "Because I have a job that I actually enjoy. I love my students." Valerie said fiercely as she scrubbed one of the pans she and John had used.

       "You don't even have to work! John makes enough money as it is." June exclaimed, and Valerie huffed in annoyance.

     She and John had discussed this time and time again. They'd never gotten into arguments about it,  as John always supported the idea of her wanting to work, but they hadn't really talked about what she would do once the baby was born. Valerie hadn't even really given a nanny much thought.

    "I don't feel like arguing about this right now. It's just been one thing after another with you. Let me wash my dishes in peace." Valerie said finally, turning to face June,  the two of them staring each other down before June sighed and walked out of the kitchen.

      A few seconds later, the front door was shut loudly, leaving John and Valerie alone.

     "God, she's right." Valerie said, finally breaking. John rushed over to her to envelop her in a hug. Valerie wrapped her arms around his tightly, crying into his chest.

      "I don't want to quit my job, but I might have to. She's right. A school day lasts a long time." Valerie said, her voice shaking as John rubbed her back comfortingly.

      "Don't feel like you have to quit. Maybe work for another year and see how you like it?" John suggested hesitantly. One of the points in their discussions about Valerie working was the fact that she didn't want John to feel like she was solely dependent upon him. John always assured her that he'd always look out for her no matter what, but if she wanted to work, she could.

"Maybe I'll take up tutoring instead until the baby is a bit older. Oh, John. I don't know what to do." Valerie sobbed, hugging John tighter.

"You don't have to worry about it right this second. You've got five more months to figure everything out. Plus, you get maternity leave, don't you?" John asked, and Valerie made a quiet sound that John took to mean a yes.

"You have plenty of time to think about it. You're barely four months along. I'm sure no one expects you to know what you want to do right away." John assured her.

"But she is right, though. We do go on tour for a long time." John said, his tone dropping slightly.

"We do take breaks in between American and European tours, though, so I'll be here." John continued, now talking to himself more than talking to Valerie.