chapter forty four - live aid

wow! I'm sorry this took so long to update.... I've had a rough few weeks! thank y'all for being so patient.

this chapter is super long, so prepare yourselves. I'm sorryyy lol hope y'all enjoy it!

IT WAS JULY 13th, the day of Live Aid, and the Deacon household was uncharacteristically silent in the early hours of the morning, as it normally was before the baby woke everyone up, or before Eddie came into the room demanding that his parents wake up to make breakfast.

Valerie was just surprised Michael wasn't up yet. Of course, she wasn't complaining. Michael was a fairly heavy sleeper, which he always proved when Eddie barreled into the room and made lots of noise. Michael slept through it all.

Valerie and John took advantage of this foreign peacefulness. Especially with John having been on tour, amongst loud music for months, the silence was welcomed between them.

      "You really should go get ready," Valerie whispered between the slow kisses she and John were sharing.

      "Later," John replied, kissing along Valerie's jawline and down her neck, making her shiver lightly.

"You know I have nothing against that but-" Valerie broke off her sentence, losing her train of thought as John gave the particularly sensitive part of her neck a light bite. "You really should get ready," she said, slightly breathless.

       "Darling, it's 6:30 in the morning," John said while he propped his head on his hand after leaving a mark on her neck, gazing down at Valerie. "I'd be too early if I got ready right now. I'm never in a rush to hurry away from you, even if we're on tour and I can't see you, my love will travel miles,"

"And even with all the time in the world right in my hands, I can't waste one second not loving you," Valerie concluded, finishing the vows that John had said on his wedding day. He brushed a strand of her hair from her face, drowsiness still lingering in his expression while Valerie reached up to mess with a strand of his hair.

       Valerie remembered the - now, quite trivial - argument that she and John had gotten into when he'd come home with his hair permed. Looking back,  she saw how stupid it had been.

   But she also attributed the idiotic fight to the fact that their relationship, at that time, had not been in a good place. After they'd gotten married and Valerie got pregnant again, there were some issues with finances,  as well as between Valerie and John. But they'd worked them out within the year, and John very often told Roger that their relationship was stronger than ever.

       Valerie opened her mouth to speak, but the door to their bedroom suddenly flew open. She immediately ducked back under the covers and pretended to be asleep. John gave her a look, and she giggled.

"Just play along. And make sure he stays quiet," she whispered, not wanting Michael to wake up, though knowing he inevitably would. John shook his head at his wife, smiling, while Eddie ran loudly into the room.

      "Eddie, your brother is sleep- oof!" John said, laughing as Eddie had hopped onto the bed and attacked John with a hug. John laughed quietly, ruffling his son's brown hair.

      "Why are you always awake so early, Ed?" John asked, adjusting himself so that Eddie could sit comfortably in his arms.

       Eddie ignored his dad and wriggled out of his arms, jumping on the bed over to Valerie. "Mamá, I know you're not asleep." He said, falling on top of his mother, his weight falling atop her causing her to laugh, blowing the cover that she had been asleep.