chapter twenty nine - blueberries

VALERIE AND JOHN fell asleep curled up underneath three layers of blankets, all the while wearing long sleeved pyjamas.

No matter what Paul claimed, it was fucking freezing in that tiny basement room. Valerie had been giving him hell for it the past few days. Paul always made tea for her in the morning as a half hearted apology.

   "Ugh, I'm so cold. I want to get back home to my warm cozy bed, and Bowie, and my heater that actually works.". Valerie said, sniffling. Thought it was summer, Wales was rather rainy, and Rockfield was very cold. Not to mention, the heater in the basement didn't work at all.

    Being in the cold temperature had inevitably made her sniffly, and it didn't help that there was so much dust all around. It was also very problematic that she happened to get really horrible allergies around dust.

"Paul, that wanker. I'm going to cough on him when I get a chance." said John as he cuddled closer to Valerie, his nose nestled against her cheek.

    "And I'll sneeze on him. Together, we shall be unstoppable in giving him a cold." Valerie said as she shifted slightly to that she could kiss John's nose lightly.

     "You're adorable, you know that?" Valerie asked John, who flushed a deep shade of pink Valerie knew had nothing to do with the temperature of the room.

    "And you're beautiful, you know that?" John replied to Valerie who simply smiled at him.

     "You tell me that all the time. Now, can we go eat breakfast? I'm sure Evan has something ready by now. And I think walking around might warm us up a bit."

     "It's true. And yeah, sure. Just let me go to the bathroom." John replied, though neither of them made a move to get out of the bed.

"I'm actually kind of hungry." Valerie said as she tried to nudge John off of the bed. He simply curled up tighter underneath the blankets.

"And Freddie probably wants to start recording as soon as possible." Valerie continued to argue as she nudged John again.

"Fine, give me like five minutes." John said as Valerie got up from the bed to get ready for the day.

"Alright, no more than that, though. I'll whack you with a pillow if you aren't up in five minutes exactly." Valerie threatened as she ruffled John's hair and headed to the bathroom with her outfit for the day.
*****
The next few days had been spent finishing up Love of My Life, and working on You're My Best Friend. Roger and Freddie finally came to an agreement, which was good, because they needed him to sing the high notes. Freddie tried to get Valerie to do this, but she'd gotten a cold from sleeping in the basement.

     Her throat was very scratchy, and she was unable to sing too high.

"John, run the track again." Freddie called from where he was recording. He was recording vocals for You're My Best Friend, and her messed up on one of the lines.

From where he was in the sound booth, John nodded and started the tape again.

      Freddie was a perfectionist, so he made John repeat the track at least twenty more times before he was satisfied with how the vocals sounded.

      He'd finished recording the lead vocals and was going to start on the backing vocals with Roger and Brian. He was discussing how he wanted the harmonies to sound very profusely with the two of them, passing around sheet music he and John had written up the day before.

Valerie had come back into the studio after running to get a snack in the house. She sat on the couch in the sound booth and watched Roger and Freddie get into an argument about the harmony and how it would sound.