chapter thirty nine - another bet

I did my research, and it turns out at ultrasound technology wasn't really used to determine the gender of a baby until the early eighties....... and this is in 1976 right now sO

let's just pretend I'm not making any timeline errors, yeah? 💀✨

also, excuse typos, I finished writing this at 11:20 pm and I'm too tired to reread over it lmao

sorryyyy if that bothers y'all! enjoy!

"JOHN, IF YOU could quit looking at the pamphlets for about five minutes to sit down with your girlfriend, that would be fantastic." Valerie giggled, an air of sarcasm in her voice as she watched John rifle through his hefty collection of pamphlets he'd collected while in the room waiting for the nurse and doctor to come into the room.

"I just wanted to expand my reading collection, that's all." John said with a smile, waving the many pamphlets he had in the air as he sat in the chair next to where Valerie was sitting.

      "What do you think it's going to be?" John asked, taking Valerie's left hand in his, kissing her knuckles lightly. Her other hand was resting on the bump on her stomach that was now more pronounced (mainly because she was reclining, but also because she had started wearing more clothes that actually accentuated her bump).

      "I don't know. My mom said I'd be able to tell; a mother's intuition if you will. But I honestly don't know." Valerie replied, glancing at John.

      "You? What do you think?" She asked, and John shrugged, blushing slightly.

     "You see, Freddie and I have a bet going-"

    "Goodness, John, do I need to put you in a rehab center? You and Freddie and Roger are always betting on things. You even drag Jim into the mix, and he hates betting!" Valerie laughed. John ran a hand through his hair, giving her an embarrassed smile.

    "We get bored on tour sometimes. On the buses, during soundcheck, in the dressing rooms. We have to spice things up somehow. Old habits from tour die hard. And Miami likes betting, he just won't admit it." John told her, and Valerie laughed again, rolling her eyes at him.

      "Alright then, what's the bet? You better win, Deacon." Valerie said before John had even told her. John was very often the winners of the bets that he made, so Valerie was more confident in his father's intuition rather than her own.

"I sure hope I do. I bet the baby would be a boy, and Freddie bet a girl." John told her, and Valerie was about to respond when a knock sounded at the door.

"Guess we'll find out whether you won that bet or not, eh? Come in," Valerie said, calling out to her nurse and doctor that were behind the door.

In bustled a short woman with curly, black hair that was streaked with gray; she was dressed in a white coat layered over a deep, purple dress. She was followed by a taller woman that was dressed in a white dress that was paired with a white hat. The nurse, presumably.

"Good afternoon, darlings, so sorry I'm a bit late. The duties of a Doctor never stop." The short woman spoke in a soft North Wales accent, smiling at Valerie and John as she went over to the sink in the corner of the room to wash her hands.

"This is Nurse Hildegard," the Doctor spoke while she scrubbed her hands profusely. The nurse outstretched her hand that wasn't holding a clipboard to John, and grinning at Valerie. Valerie had had nurse Hildegard doing all of her appointments since she had found out she was pregnant, as luck would have it.