Just Give Me A Reason

"You're leaving." Magnus said, his eyes cast down. It was not a question. He was still dressed in last night's clothes, the fabric clinging to his skin.

He looked dead, as if someone had taken his heart and crushed it between his fingertips. Catarina's heart ached for him, but Ragnor has insisted.

"We won't be far away. Still within the property. Clearly you need the space. Perhaps we've been crowding you these past years." Ragnor said curtly, eyeing the prince up and down.

No. Magnus wanted to say. He wanted to spill everything, like the rush of a river. He wanted to tell them that everything was alright, he didn't need them to give him space, not when that was all he had for the most of his life.

Blue sparks crackled from his fingertips before he could speak however and he shoved his hands into his damp pockets, dipping his head immediately to avoid seeing the look of fear crossing his friend's face.

"Besides, someone has to look after the prince you took hostage." Something snapped deep within Magnus and he sucked in a breath, his gaze hardening.

"Right. Goodbye then. I'll see you around."

Spinning on his heels, Magnus stalked back inside, slamming the heavy door shut. He was proud that he managed to make it to the couch sitting in front of the fire before he cracked, letting the tears pour down his face.

A stair creaking startled him out of his crying and the sight of Alexander standing at the top of the steps staring down at him surprised him enough that the tears stopped.

He glared up at the prince, well aware of how awful he looked, with last night's make up streaked across his face, his still damp clothes clinging to his slight frame.

"What do you want?" Magnus growled and Alexander narrowed his eyes at him, the fear from the night before already gone.

-

Alec knew he should not feel sorry for him. He had taken him from his family, for gods' sake. There was no reason to feel sorry for this man.

But seeing him kneeling by the fire, black streaks and tears staining his face, he felt something inside him shift. He was only human after all.

"Are you okay?" He could not help himself, swallowing the remnants of his fear.

Ragnor had told him about the magic, how Magnus' rage had cleaved the dining table into two and shattered the dinner plates. He had even asked if Alec would leave with them, for his safety and Alec would have, if  he did not have a dangerously stupid sense of honor.

They had assured him that they would return often, to check on him and that was enough for him. For now.

"Fine." Magnus said shortly, pushing himself to his feet. He wobbled and Alec barely stopped himself from across to catch him.

Instead, he watched the man stalk out of the room, disappearing behind a corner. Heaving a sigh, he went off in search of a kitchen to make himself breakfast.

The sizzling of the eggs in the pan calmed him, reminding him of all the times he would wake early and sneak into the kitchen to watch the cooks prepare their fuel for the day. They had taught him to cook at his request, out of curiousity and Alec thanked the heavens for that now as he was actually self sufficient.

At least until Ragnor and Catarina returned to check on him.

Briefly, he wondered if he should leave some food for Magnus. Without any conscious thought, he started to plate the eggs, pouring milk into a tall glass.