The North Wind

Simon turned out to be a polar bear twice the size of Alec's horse. Valiant had spooked at the sight of the bear lumbering out of the surrounding forest, yawning and growling.

Clary had given him her magic paintbrush, insisting that he would need it in order to win Magnus back, even when Alec tried to decline. He did not see how a magic paintbrush could help him save Magnus but accepted it at Clary's insistence.

Jocelyn, her mother, had wordlessly packed dried meats and fish into a saddle bag so big that Alec did not think he would be able to carry it.

"Remember, Camille may be a conniving bitch. But she is still part human and susceptible to human temptations," she said as she slung the bag over Simon's shoulders. Alec nodded, carefully tucking a rolled up parchment into Valiant's saddlebag, which was noticeably smaller than that of Simon's.

The Fairchilds would send Valiant back home with a far more detailed note that he had written to reassure his family that he was safe and well, and Alec would continue the rest of his journey aboard Simon the polar bear.

They had warned Alec that Simon could carry him only as far as the Ravine, about three-quarters of the way there.

Once there, Alec would have to make his own way to the stone castle which should be visible from the Ravine.

The castle was indeed visible from the Ravine.

In fact, it was almost directly across where Simon dropped him off. The Ravine was a chasm that stretched between one cliff and the other, the walls of the cliffs going straight down into a rushing river that ran off a waterfall.

The waterfall was so loud that Alec had to yell to be heard over the sound of the water.

"How am I supposed to get across?"

Simon the polar bear merely roared back, sitting straight down on his furry butt to watch Alec pace the edge of the cliff. He nosed at Alec's pocket occasionally, where the paintbrush resided, as the prince walked right up to the edge of the cliff, peering down at the rushing water.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you."

The voice startled Alec so much that he very nearly fell over the edge, had Simon not caught the edge of his clock in his mouth, tugging him back.

Alec turned to look at Simon.

"Did you speak?" He asked, narrowing his eyes at the polar bear.

As if he felt completely ridiculed by that idea, Simon rolled his eyes, letting the edge of the prince's cloak fall from his mouth, glowering at him.

There was no one in sight, no sound other than the rushing water.

Alec walked up to the edge of the ravine again, his heart stuttering in his chest as he knelt.

"Hello?"

He called down to the water, feeling incredibly stupid as he did so.

"Up here," his fingers scrabbled in the ice as he turned his head to look into the sky, where he was sure where the voice had come from.

There was nothing there.

Alec gawked at the empty air, turning around to stare all around him. A gust of wind brushed against his cheek and he heard the voice again.

"Here."

It was a female voice, gentle and curling. The wind swept around him, ruffling his cloak and Alec thought he saw the vague shape of a woman flit past, a cold breeze on his shoulder the only indication of her presence.

"Who are you?" He called as the wind blew into the air, settling into a faint shimmering figure.

"The North Wind," she blustered into his ear and Alec screwed up his eyes. She was so cold.

"You wish to pass the Ravine."

It was more of a statement than a question. Though he could not fully see her, Alec could feeling eyes burning into his as he bowed his head in answer.

"What business do you have with the Immortal Queen?" It sounded as if the wind was musing. A gust brushed beneath his chin and the prince looked up, setting his jaw.

"I'm rescuing my lover."

The words came easily. His fingers brushed against the paintbrush in his pocket and he straightened as the wind blew away, still surveying him.

"I can carry you across. But you alone," the North Wind murmured, almost thoughtfully, "it has been a time since anyone dared to challenge the Immortal Queen."

"You mean Camille." Alec broke in, his muscles tense.

"I don't wish to challenge anyone. I just want Magnus back."

The wind blew around him, ruffling his hair and tugging at his cloak, so hard that Alec felt his feet lift briefly from the ground.

"No one takes what the Immortal Queen claims," she breathed into his ear, shocking him from the temperature.

Alec gritted his teeth as the wind lifted him into the air. Her touch was icy and he could feel his teeth begin to chatter.

"Magnus isn't an object to claim."

-

"The queen requests your presence," even without looking at him, Magnus could tell that Raphael was bowing. He was the only one Camille trusted to watch over Magnus and he was always at his door, at his beck and call.

Magnus did not turn from the window.

The wind had been particularly strong that day, so much so that Raphael had forbade him from going up to the rooftop. So Magnus had stayed in his room, curled up in his blankets, watching the snow drift from the skies from the single window.

Raphael had left him alone to his mind, until now.

"Milord?" The valet called again when he received no reply and Magnus shifted, wrapping his blankets tighter about his body. He had no desire to leave the warmth of his bed.

"She can come to me," he answered stiffly. It would be no different than when Camille visited him in his chambers every night. He saw no need for things to change.

"She insists, milord," Raphael was at the foot of his bed now, his expression stern, "there is someone she wishes for you to meet."