08 | Inhuman

I began to stand up, fury burning through every vein in my body.

I would have said something stupid at that moment if Scott had not grabbed my arm. None of the others seemed to notice as they continued their work. Turning to Scott, I saw him glaring at me. Scowling, I sat down; he, however, kept his grip on my arm.

"It's not worth it," he said coldly, turning back to his computer, keeping his grip on my arm. I glanced at Evan, but he seemed to be lost in the world of computers once again. Why was Scott still treating me as a child? Didn't he know I could take care of myself?

"We need to say something!" I hissed. I would not like to admit it, but he was right. It was not worth it. He had stopped me from making an impulsive decision, but that didn't mean I had to like it.

"No, we don't," he said, releasing my arm so he could move a computer mouse. The name mouse still puzzled me to this day. Why would a computer piece be named after a rodent? The people in the past always had the strangest names for things. However, at this point, Scott seemed even more peculiar to me.

"Why," I asked. We both know I knew why. However, I wanted to hear him say it. As if I wanted him to insult me so I could show him how bitter he was directly. I don't know why; I just wanted to get some emotion out of him.

"You know why," he said, and I ground my teeth together. I didn't think I could ever understand him. Understand how he seemed to get deep down in someone's head. He was too smart for his own good, but I would never give him the satisfaction of saying so.

"How's it going over there, kiddos?" Evan startled me out of my dazed thoughts. He had just been over before, but it must have been longer than I thought. Instinctively I turned to Scott, who glanced up from his computer for a moment; the warm glow from the computer reflected off his glasses, his eyes staring up with no satisfaction.

"Well," he responded simply, before returning to click away at the computer. Evan glanced at me with a smirk, having found Scott amusing. He must've noticed the odd manner Scott seemed to have, and I couldn't help but smile back at him.

Although Evan did seem to be slightly odd, he was nice in some aspects. I tried to ignore his opinion on Lowers as that had more to do with upbringing than a person did. His eyes were filled with genuine kindness, even if it was clouded with immaturity.

In all honesty, I'm glad I at least had someone.

"Well, eh?" he said, a smirk on his face as he put his hands on his hips. Seeing him up close you could really see how much of a twig he was. The collarbones peaked above his shirt and his fingers were like sticks. I wondered if he was healthy, as his skin was truly pale but with small freckles across his body. He continued, a playfulness in his voice, "Don't worry, it's just standard procedure to teach you how to use computers, you'll pick it up quick. Soon you'll do some less boring stuff,"

"Like what?" I asked, an opportunity to do something other than this excited me. His eyes shone at my glee as a hunter might looking at unsuspecting prey. There was something about him that didn't seem right, but I shrugged it off to the awful smell of the room and the dim lights.

"You'll see," he said, a devilish grin on his face, before spinning around and returning to his desk once more. And as it turned out, I wouldn't see that day.

Really all I saw was thousands of faces from people my age that I doubt I would even recognize my own anymore. Sometimes when the screen would flicker for a moment, my face would be reflected in the black screen.

When I would see that girl reflected, I don't think I recognized her. I knew it was me, but for a brief moment, I would think it was someone else. When you look at faces for so long you don't recognize your own. You see everyone around you a little different than you did before, and it's hard to think of a life where faces were just so simple.