23 ; Broken

[ a/n sorry for lack of chapters, I've been beyond busy. This isn't completely edited, but I'm working on it. Give me your thoughts x ]

---

It had been so easy to throw paper planes. So easy to be lost in a world of serenity and peace. So easy to be lost in the petty dramas and useless squabbles that came with clashing thoughts. So easy to believe it would all work out, that the broken pieces would fall into place.

But now it was all too difficult.

All I could seem to focus on was the ticking of the clock on the wall, the minute hand moving painfully slow, and the hour hand moving even painfully slowly. For a small while, I found myself breathing in sync with the sound, but as soon as I noticed, it became as uncoordinated as everything else.

"I'll just be a moment," Evan said beside me, breaking the silence between us. Standing, he reached into his pocket to answer a call, stepping outside through the sliding glass doors. I was now alone, the stench of disinfectant welcoming compared to everything else. Nervously, I began to tap my foot impatiently.

I sat in a hospital reception area, rows of empty chairs lining the lifeless grey walls. A receptionist sat at her desk, typing away, and giving a glance at me every now and again. The minute hand continued to tick by, along with the growing doubt of Evan's return.

With growing agitation, I decided to message Jake to let him know of the situation. Opening the Smartwatch, I began to scroll through the contacts. There were already seven contacts, with various labels aside their names.

Emergency Services, Booking Appointments, Jake Morris [Assigned Partner], Evan Jackson [Co-worker/Supervisor], Marlin Peterson [Co-worker] [Deactivated], Noah Williams [Co-worker], Scott Preston [Co-worker].

I found my eyes hovered over the names for a moment, processing what each name and tag meant. The spider of guilt followed by a sickness filled me as I read the added tag aside Marlins name, still trying to process what had happened earlier that day. The light had begun to set through the windows. After quite a few minutes of debating with myself, I sent Jake a message.

"Hey Jake, this is Rebecca (obviously) – just wanted to let you know that I might be home late tonight. Scott got hurt really badly, so I am at the hospital, please let Jessie know,"

I soon got a returned message, wishing him the best and that he would let her know. Sighing, I sat back into the chair, closing my eyes for a moment. I held Scott's broken glasses in my hand, running my fingers gently over the broken glass, wishing for nothing more than this nightmare to be over. Day after day of a new drama, a new issue.

Despite all these things that should be running through my head, battling for my attention and worry, I could only seem to focus on one thing. Scott. Worries of his health, confusion at just who he is, and so many questions and thoughts I just couldn't quieten. His cries for help continued to echo in my ears, the desperation in his voice as he clutched his eye, the awful color of blood. Thinking about such things, I hadn't even noticed I had begun to drift into sleep.

"Miss?" a woman shook my leg, causing me to jump from my light doze. She looked worried, causing my heart to jump as I sat up properly, looking around. She frowned as she said, "I didn't think you'd still be waiting for him..."

"Is he alright?" I asked, picking up the glasses which had fallen to the ground. They were slightly crooked, and along with the crack, reminded me of something Lillian used to find in the Lower City Region dumpsite.

"He's out of surgery now..." she said, causing me to let out a large sigh of relief. I stood up, half expecting the emotionless boy to be walking out, a criticizing look on his face as he accused me for breaking the glasses. She frowned, "He's sleeping now, but you can wait in there for him,"