57 : Cut

Time seemed to slow, the world around me dragging as each second continued for hours. It seemed as if I was merely an observer, watching as the earth ticked by at snail's pace, the red stain spreading like ink in water across Charlie's chest.

Jake's hand lowered, confusion etched onto his face as took a step back. My hands were shaking, eyes watery and arms so heavy I wondered how I would be able to stand again. I needed to stop this, do something.

But I couldn't.

Scott ran forward, Jake seemed too preoccupied to notice. I hardly glanced at him, so focused on Charlie, his eyes drifting to me for just a moment. I didn't even notice that Scott had grabbed onto my hand until he was hauling me up.

"I'm sorry," Scot said, his eyes meeting mine, looking at me with such intent it managed to tug me back into reality. He pulled me onto my feet and even if I wanted to, I couldn't fight it. Before I had even properly gained my balance, he ran, his grip around my hand tightening as he dragged me away.

I tried to suppress a cry as the pain from my bullet wound shot through my body. I stumbled, my foot catching on an uneven stone, still slippery from the storm. Just as I fell, my chin near inches from colliding with the ground, Scott pulled me forward, stabilizing me with his other hand before continuing to run.

BANG

Another gunshot, ringing even louder than before, the sound bouncing off every side and every corner of the towering buildings. I glanced back, watching as the ginger locked boy collapsed to his knees, staring up at the cookie-cutter bang.

BANG

"Ch-charlie-" I stammered, trying to wrench my hand away from Scott. I couldn't see him, they were just behind the corner. If I could go back I could take Charlie's place. But the grasp on my hand remained strong. I turned back to Scott who was trying to draw me away, "Pl—please Scott..."

"No," Scott said firmly, and without another pause, he continued to run. I was too weak to fight against him, too weak to pry away from his grasp. I shook my head, stumbling as I tried to stop Scott. I had to go back for him. I had to do something.

I wouldn't let Charlie die. Not when I was so close to saving him.

I didn't care about my life anymore, didn't care what happened to me. Didn't care about the pain in my side or the disconnection I now felt towards every step I took. I didn't care about surviving this. All I cared about was Charlie.

I stumbled over another loose brick, struggling against Scott's pull as he dragged me around another corner. I needed to go back, but I couldn't. Because even if I no longer cared for my safety, Scott did.

Soon, after what felt like hours of running, the towering buildings broke away into the rumble of the train station. The rain was heavy, cold, making every part of me feel numb. The world swayed as Scott pulled me up the steps, one step causing me to collapse in pain despite my side now merely the faint throbbing of a once unbearable injury.

"Dammit, Rebecca!" Scott cursed, lifting me to my feet as he hung one arm over his shoulder. There was a train in the station, the constant pounding of the rain disappearing as he helped me through the doors.

I collapsed to the ground, the faint robotic woman's voice fading into my mind. I felt the cold plating of the train wall against my back, the overhead lights which were so bright I closed my eyes. The ringing from the bullet still seemed to drift around my head. Like an alarm that wouldn't turn off.

I drifted in and out of consciousness, a blackness that consumed the waking world. I would wake up soon after, my side feeling as though it were rotting away. I seemed to imagine that the wound was growing, eating up my entire body before I completely died on the train.