55 : Friends

As the train rolled up to the Lower City Region station, it was still bucketing with rain. I ducked down, already regretting returning into the downpour, but it was too late to turn back now. After all, Scott wanted to ask questions, and I doubt some rain would change his mind.

And who knew what would happen if I left him alone with Charlie.

Luckily, however, the rain seemed to be lessened by the Lower City Region. The towering buildings providing some shelter, puddles, and dripping water still managed to coat the pathways. There was another crack of thunder, and I shivered at the freezing cold.

"This won't be long," Scott said quietly, stepping over a large puddle which was green in color, emitting a foul odor. His glasses were completely fogged, and it was a miracle he still managed to see out of them, "You'll catch a cold in this weather. I will be fine on my own,"

"You'll catch a cold too," I said, although knowing full well that wasn't the only reason I was coming. I just hoped that Charlie wouldn't immediately punch him the moment he saw him. I sighed, "You can't get rid of me that easily,"

"I would never want to get rid of you," he said so calmly and suddenly that it caught me off guard. I felt my cheeks burn red as I turned away, almost skidding against a wet brick which was slightly raised.

Soon we managed to make it into the building in which Charlie and Lillian had called their home for several years now. A broken building with a dark hallway being the only entrance. If you didn't know what you were looking for, you would miss it entirely.

But today, something about it seemed empty. I felt a sense of dread, hesitating at the doorway leading to the pitch-black corridor. Something was wrong, and I found myself scared of finding out what it was.

"Are you alright?" Scott asked quietly, and I shook my head. I doubt he would understand it, understand this rotten feeling at my core. So instead, I ignored it, pushing deep into the crumbling buildings.

Perhaps I shouldn't have ignored it.

"Charlie!" I called out, cupping my hands around my mouth. My hands were numb and I could hardly even feel my feet with each step I took, yet somehow, I felt more alert than ever. I called out again, "Charlie? Lillian?"

A crash of thunder caused me to stumble back and tread on Scott's feet as he walked behind me. The sound of thunder was different here, echoing off every broken and crumbling wall, filtering through my whole body.

Reaching the end of the hallway, my heart dropped. There was silence, a dry silence, the only sound being that of the distorted thunder and slow dripping from cracks in the wall. I could feel myself panicking, wondering how or why this could have happened.

"Rebecca?" it wasn't Scott's voice who said it, and it wasn't Charlie's. Peaking from behind one of the doorless frames was Lillian. I felt a rush of relief, running up to her and throwing my arms around her. When I looked back at her, however, the sense of relief dissipated.

"What's wrong?" I asked, her red hair curling over her shoulder. Her eyes darted over to Scott and she took a step back, her lip trembling, her hand grasping onto my soaked jacket in a panic.

"Where's Charlie?" she asked, her voice quiet and frightened. Lillian's gaze remained fixed on Scott, who in turn watched her with curiosity, "And why is he here?"

"I'll explain- what do you mean where's Charlie?" the panic had returned, and this time, it seemed I had reason to. Lillian shook her head, "I- just. Are you alright?"

"Y-yeah..." she nodded, gingerly moving from behind me. She kept her eyes on him though, unwavering and distrusting, "I thought you weren't going to trust him..."