20 ; watches

"Of course," Jack said, a smug smile crossing his face. He gave me a glance as if trying to tell me something before he turned around and exited the room. An odd silence now clung to the air.

"Do we follow or...?" I asked, looking up at Evan as he shook his head. I had so many more questions to ask him but I knew that here and now wasn't the place. I didn't know why I had to lie but opted to trust Evan, despite how wrong it felt to do so.

A minute or two later, Jack came back around the corner, holding something about a foot long, wide and tall. It was a cardboard box, with information about electronics, however, the state of the box itself indicated that this was just a reuse of packaging. It was closed shut by twine, wrapping around the book crudely, as a USB lay on top, black and red plastic cover.

He walked up, handing the box to Evan, who then shoved the USB into his jean pocket before taking the box. Jack had something deeper lurking in his eyes that unsettled me, a look of childlike curiosity and determination that paired itself with a mischievous grin.

It didn't feel right. Lying didn't feel right. I didn't know who Jack was but there was something off about him. I didn't know why Scott wasn't allowed, nor why I had to ignore his existence entirely. It was hard to describe, but this place just felt wrong. Like a puzzle piece that fits, but doesn't quite click into place.

"Everything's there?" Evan asked, patting the box as Jack nodded.

"Everything you asked for," Jack said, standing back and crossing his arms. He then looked down at me with a bitter sadness in his eyes and said, "I have a feeling I'll be seeing you again,"

The words were like a spider creeping under my clothes. The words paired with bitter sadness. I had no idea what he meant, and I didn't even understand why I was here in the first place, let alone why I would need to come back.

"Let's hope not," Evan said jokingly but with a sharp edge on it. Jack could only manage a small smile in response. There was another moment of silence as the men stared at each other as if a fight with only their eyes. Evan faltered, before turning away to look at me, "C'mon let's go,"

"Oh, I almost forgot," Jack said, and Evan turned to him with a look of annoyance. Jack then said in a hushed tone, not breaking his gaze from Evan, "There's been a bit of a fox problem in the Lower City Region,"

Despite the seemingly innocent or simple phrase, it was said with a serious and stern tone. I tried to read either for some sort of information, but Evan simply gave a subtle nod. He straightened up, a good few inches taller than Jack.

"Let's hope they fix it then, huh?" Evan said, the tone not matching the words at all. Instead of the light-hearted tone that he usually had, it was bitter and cold. There was another moment before Evan turned around.

Before I had time for anything else, to even question what had just happened, Evan had swiftly walked from the store. I turned to follow but was jolted back as Jack grabbed my arm. I had to stop myself from immediately trying to attack him as I turned around.

"Be careful kid," he said, worry in his eyes, before he let my arm go. I scurried out, not wanting to turn back into the place.

Although the air was still bitter outside, it felt fresher than how cramped and dark the store had been. Evan swore under his breath, unlocking Jane. I opened the adjacent door and sat inside, relieved at the warmth of the vehicle. Evan was obviously pissed, with an odd displacement in his eyes, as he opened the back door. He secured the box in the back, before opening the door and climbing in.

"Okay Jane go home," Evan mumbled, as the car beeped into life and began to move. It was almost silent if not for the very faint sound of wheels hitting the road. However, there was a burning question that still remained unanswered.