10 ; Curiosity

"Fine," I said, knowing the choice wasn't exactly a choice I made willingly.

"Good," he said, giving me a smile. A glint in his eye as if he had won some sort of contest. He motioned his head towards the computer, "Now, please explain,"

"She's a Lower," I murmured, glancing up at Marlin and Noah, who didn't even move. Curiosity flashed across Scott's eyes, "I saw her on matching day, I had to give her a hair tie because she had her hair down. One, she clearly didn't know the rules. Then, when she finally put her hair up, I could see where the letter L had been on the back of her neck,"

"And what else?" he said, and I turned away, red rising to my cheeks. He must have noticed this as he said in a cynical tone, "That's not it, is it?"

"Yeah..." I trailed off, and he continued to look at me, "Well... that's why I got her profile up. You happy?"

"Not in the slightest," he said, frowning, "Now, who is she?"

"Does it matter?"

"Yes, considering I'm helping you now," he said, adjusting his glasses. His eyes held something I couldn't put my finger on, but could only describe as a deep-rooted, childlike curiosity. It was something I'd never seen in him before, and dare I say it scared me.

"Who said you were helping?" I hissed, still trying to keep quiet. He shifted in his seat, turning to face me properly.

"I did," he said simply, "Now, how do you know so much about Lowers?"

I hesitated. Knowing that no matter what I said, if it wasn't the truth, he wouldn't believe me. But could I really just tell him about Charlie and Lillian? I mean, yes I did tell Jake, but this was someone entirely different. And Scott was... different.

"I- I know some... friends," I said quietly, and he continued to stare at me, waiting for me to continue, "Lowers. I was going to show them a picture,"

"Then we'll need to print it off," he stated simply, and I wondered if he had even properly heard me when I said I was friends with Lowers. He turned to his computer, "What did you say her name was?"

"Uh... Yasmin," I said quietly, "Yasmin Kerring,"

He searched it, and the same five profiles showed up. He clicked on Yasmin, before hitting a small letter P in the top right corner. I was about to ask what he was doing when he stood up.

I paused, just watching him stand up out of his chair and walk to the corner of the room. My heart was pounding, especially by how calm he appeared to be. I stared at the others and saw Marlin get up. I bit onto my thumbnail, watching intently.

"Whatcha got 'ere?" Marlin said, crossing his arms and leaning against the small table the printer was sitting on.

A piece of paper exited the machine, and Scott picked it up. I watched, just waiting for everything to be busted. Why I thought I could trust Scott was beyond me. But what made me even more nervous, was the fact that Scott didn't even seem to be worried.

"Evan told us we should familiarize ourselves with the printers," Scott said, and my nerves quickly turned to confusion. I had no memory of Evan telling us this, but hoped it was just some way Scott was trying to get out of it, "She's a girl from my class, not really of much importance. Just practicing. Apologies for disturbing you,"

Marlin put a hand on Scott's shoulder as he went to turn away. Marlin said some things so quietly I couldn't hear. He patted him on the shoulder again, before crossing his arms. Scott nodded to Marlin, before walking back to his seat beside mine. Marlin smiled at him, before returning to his seat. When he sat down, he folded the paper in half and then half again, before passing it to me. I slipped it into my pocket beside the watch.