39 : Warm

As Evan and I made our way back down the large hallways, I found myself focused on the symbolism surrounding the fox.

There had been the words 'White Fox' on her card, which could easily be brushed off as the company responsible for the card, or perhaps another name she went under. But then there was the ring. The fox. Perhaps it was her favorite animal, but there was a deep suspicion that it meant something more. It was a hunch, a gut feeling.

And I couldn't just let it go.

As we left through the same doors we came in, it felt I was stepping back into the real world. Where I would face therapy, Jake, cold, and hunger pains. The temperature was still unbearable, and I was more than thankful as Evan unlocked the car and I quickly made my way inside.

Somehow, the visit had taken up the entirety of the day. Scott would be gone by the time we returned, and I would have to face Jake again. As Evan drove, I took out the card from my pocket. I added Jordan's number to my phone, wondering if I would be able to ask her about the fox. I flipped the card over in my hand, reading and rereading the small text.

White Fox.

"She likes you," Evan said, beaming. He caused me to jump and I shoved the card back into my pocket. The car hummed quietly as it drove down the back roads of the city, "She always said she wished another girl would join computer technology. In just a few days she'll be begging me to bring you along,"

"She's nice," I said, staring out the window. The sun would begin setting in a few hours, and all I had managed to eat today was a few cookies. My stomach growled and I tried to ignore it, watching as the landscape spun past.

For the rest of the trip, neither of us mentioned the lie we had spun for Jordan. It had become an unspoken truth.

As we arrived back, I was surprised to see Scott waiting outside, looking cold as Noah was locking up the building beside him. I was suddenly oddly excited to talk to him, and when the car pulled up, I couldn't help as I stumbled out. It was cold and freezing, but it didn't stop me before I threw my arms around Scott.

I don't know why, but I was glad to see him again. To have someone like him, knowing he wouldn't just disappear. That I didn't have to pretend that he was gone. I didn't need to lie to him, and even if I tried, he was excellent at calling out a lie.

Because around Scott Preston, I could be myself.

And he hugged me back. He was warm, a contrast to the air around us. He was slightly taller than me, but I was still able to rest my head on his shoulder. He didn't speak, and I didn't want him too. At least for now. I just wanted to live in this moment for just a bit longer.

"Go home kids, I'm cold," Noah grumbled, shooting Evan a glance as he made his way to his own car. Evan  rolled his eyes, shivering for a moment, before getting back inside the car.

There was a murmur of engines, before both men drove off. And we were alone, sitting in the middle of the empty car-park for a moment, before he moved back, taking my shoulders in his hands as he looked at me. Those eyes, those deep green eyes trying to read me.

"Are you alright?" he asked quietly, "You were gone all day,"

"Sorry..." I said, moving back further. I could feel my cheeks blooming with blush, "I should have asked if I could hug you I just- I've had a rough day,"

The sun would be setting soon, dipping below the horizon as it always did, casting the city into darkness. Scott looked at me, adjusting his glasses. Twice today, he had waited for me. I didn't know why, but he did. And I was thankful for it regardless of his intentions. He gave me a small smile.