54 : Choices

A/N: We're back to daily chapters, let's hope I can keep this up! I'll try and keep consistent, especially since we could also use a distraction from the chaos in the world right now. But please keep in mind that I may miss a few days, but I will try and keep a consistent schedule.

---

A deep growl of thunder filtered through the building, a rumble which seemed to carry on further and further until I wondered if it was going to stop at all. Whether the storm itself would be endless, forever growing, and changing, but remaining the darkness, swallowing the world entirely.

As the thunder gently faded, Evan's yelling became clearer, cursing I hardly even knew being called crisply from behind the thin door. For a few seconds, there would be a pause, the other man on the other end likely trying to calm him down, before Evan would begin his tirade once more.

I stood on my tiptoes for a moment, closing my eyes as I softly kissed Scott's forehead. In a sense, it was although the roles had been reversed. I felt this urge to protect him, a deep desire to cherish him. As if he were something which could be broken with the slightest glance.

My hand slowly dropped from his cheek as I moved back, carefully standing back on the ground before I wrapped my hands around him. I rested my head on his shoulder, holding him, afraid that he could truly disappear any moment.

I hadn't even noticed the yelling had stopped, too caught up in worry, resting so delicately against him as he did the same. He wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me closer into the embrace. His hair was still wet, brushing against my cheek.

The back door swung open, and I jumped, quickly moving away from Scott in a panic. Evan, luckily, hadn't seen this exchange, although looking to Scott he seemed to be lightly blushing, a small smile as he adjusted his glasses.

There wasn't exactly anything wrong with hugging someone. But I couldn't be sure, couldn't risk what Evan might think and assume even though I wasn't quite sure myself what it was. However, he hadn't even seen, glaring down at his phone which he held so tightly that his knuckles were white.

"I swear I'll skin that man," Evan scowled, starting to pace the room, kicking a chair to he side as it fell to the ground, meeting the fate of the other. I jumped as he kicked another one so hard it went careening against a table, one of the computers on the table swaying precariously, before settling. Evan continued as if he hadn't just ruined yet another computer, "This is exactly why I needed him to-"

"What happened?" I asked, already regretting my decision to do so. I shouldn't have asked, shouldn't have gotten involved, should have just allowed him to let off some steam and kick some chairs around until he calmed down. He looked up at me, glaring, almost surprised to see me standing there. There was another flash of lightning.

"I paid his fucking asshole Dave a good chunk of credits to get the backup generators fixed," he began, throwing himself into one of the chairs which had remained upright, before he began to tap his foot impatiently against the bleak cement flooring, "He said he would have them fixed yesterday! All he had to say was not to rush him! Can you fucking believe it?!"

"He wasn't here yesterday," Scott said blankly, and Evan shook his head, anger boiling behind those judgemental eyes. I wondered how true what Scott said was, considering neither of us had actually been here for very long.

However, given the fact that we had been thrown into complete darkness, it was a safe guess to assume he didn't. Scott adjusted his glasses, and every time I looked at him I found my heart racing, just wanting to sit and talk with him and be anywhere but here.

"No shit Sherlock," Evan spat, standing up from the chair, and in the process, kicking it to the floor, swearing loudly as he ran his fingers through his hair, shaking his head. The phrase confused me, but as I turned to Scott, he seemed equally confused at what he had said. As Evan looked up to us, he furrowed his brow, "Sherlock? Sherlock Holmes and John Watson? Great detective books by Arthur Conan Doyle?"