Should I Be Thankful For The Idiot Who Risked Their Life Standing Up For Me?

(1/10)

Max's POV

Whoop-de-doo. It was the day I had been looking forward to since I got dropped off at this hellish excuse for a camp. It was pick-up day. Deep down though, I was pretty terrified. I didn't know if it was better to go home, or better to be embarrassed when my parents didn't show up. Therefore, I didn't know which to wish for.

"Gooooood morning, Max!" David chimed, pulling back the flaps so he could stick his head into my tent.

"Five more minutes," I grumbled, rolling over and pulling the blanket tighter to my body.

"Nope, not today! Do you know what today is, Max?" David cheered, pulling the flaps open wider to let sunlight flow into the confined area.

I shot up in bed. "How could I not?! It's the best fucking day of the year."

"Oh c'mon Max, you don't really think that! Also, watch your language!" David's face slightly drooped, as if he was disappointed in my opinion. He wouldn't be the first one. "I want to see you in the Mess Hall in five minutes for breakfast! Quartermaster is serving breakfast potatoes! Which... I guess is just his regular potatoes served at breakfast. But they're still delicious!"

David skipped away, humming some silly little camp song to himself. The sun shined through the little crack between the tent flaps that David probably purposely left open as a way to get me up and moving.

I grabbed my hoodie off of the floor beside me and slipped it over my head before crawling out of the sad excuse of a bed I had grown used to this past summer. I decided it would just be easier to make David happy, so I ambled my way towards the Mess Hall. As I approached the building, I saw Gwen standing outside speaking with Spacekid. She was going on about something along the lines of 'tying yourself to a ceiling fan isn't the same as flying in a rocket ship, so don't do it'.

I didn't care enough to look into it, so I went inside, got my mush, and sat down with Neil and Nikki.

"Morning Max!" Nikki said, her words distorted by the amount of food she had in her mouth.

"Are you looking forward to going home? I know I miss my mom." Neil chimed in, pushing his soft food around the tray with a fork.

"Ah, doesn't matter. Anywhere's better than this shit hole." Anywhere not including home.

"But we'll never see each other again!" Nikki whined. "I don't want to never see you again!"

"The probability that we'll never see each other again is very slim. I'm sure we'll meet up eventually." Neil mentioned.

"Yeah, plus you two will probably see each other all the time based on the relationship between your parents."

"Don't remind me," Neil said hopelessly, his face going slightly red.

"Alrighty, Camp Campbell campers!" David's overly excited voice boomed through the Mess Hall. "Your parents will be here around noon, which means we have three hours to pack up, have fun, and say goodbye! I hope everyone had the bestest most funnest time at camp and if you need any help with anything don't hesitate to come find me and Gwen!"

"No." Gwen chimed.

"Don't hesitate to come find me!" David said waving his hands about.

I turned back towards Neil and Nikki.

"You gonna eat that?" Nikki asked, gesturing towards the lump of mashed potatoes on Neil's plate.

"I'm gonna go back to my tent," I grumbled.