Curse Those Deep Dark Thoughts

(2/10)

I'm so sorry this chapter is so long.

Max's POV

First morning home. It felt strange to wake up and see a real ceiling above my head and not the cloth material of the cheap tents back at camp. The clock next to me was flashing and broken so I was lost at what time it was.

"Maaaaax!" Dad's voice boomed through my door. "Get your ass down here and clean up this mess!"

Ah yes, the joys of being home. I rose out of bed and grabbed my hoodie off the floor. I made my way out of my closet of a bedroom and into the kitchen down the hall. Living in an apartment wasn't too bad. At least I got a view of the city 10 floors below.

I rubbed my eyes and yawned, then began to wash the dishes that had probably been piling up in the sink since the day I left.

"What? Did you just wake up?" Mom chuckled.

I rolled my eyes and continued to scrub stained food off cheap dishes.

"Maxwell, answer your mother." Without turning around I could hear my dad's fist hit the table.

"Yes, I did just wake up. Assholes," I mumbled the asshole part under my breath, but I'm pretty sure my parents still heard me.

"What the hell were you doing asleep at eleven in the morning?" Dad yelled.

I took in a deep breath and turned away from the sink to see my parents sitting at the small table across the room.

"I don't know if you ignorant morons noticed, but I've been away an exhausting summer camp where I have had to wake up practically eight in the morning every day." I glared back at my parents.

I guess all that time away made me forget how intimidating my parents actually were. I was still kind of expecting David to jump out from behind the counter and yell at me to watch my language as he would do back at camp.

Dad rose from the table and approached me. "What the hell did you say to me?"

"I said you were an ignorant moron. While we're at it, let's add on that you're selfish, narcissistic, and overall the fucking worst." I spat.

I could feel a smile spread across my face. I knew where this would lead, and there was no turning back now. I had dipped my toes in the water, but now it was time for a full-on cannonball.

"You-" My sentence was cut off as I was pushed to the ground.

I went to stand back up, but my dad quickly retaliated by punching me in the jaw.

"I don't know what they taught you at this pathetic summer camp of yours, but let me remind you that you damn well better respect your parents, Maxwell."

"And if I don't?" I spat back.

Dad grabbed onto my wrists and pulled me off the cold tile ground. I gritted my teeth, awaiting another impact of some form. My father's dirty fingernails dug into my skin and he put his face closer to mine.

The unshaved hairs on his lip glistened with sweat and his eyes flashed red with anger.

"Why don't you head into the city today? Wouldn't that be fun, Max?" Mom suggested, not even lifting her eyes from her coffee cup, which was now empty.

"That's a great idea. That way we won't have to deal with you." Dad grinned in my face then tossed me back to the ground.

I felt my head bang against the base of a nearby chair. "Sounds brilliant."