Epilogue

(10/10)

Max's POV

David was released from the hospital three days ago. The doctors weren't sure how, but 'by some miracle he was cured'. Everyone had come to visit after he woke up and I even got to meet his family. The colour had slowly come back to his skin and that obnoxious smile had returned to his face. He was back to his Devil-may-care attitude.

Now I sat at his dinner table eating take out Chinese food, explaining to him what had happened with Daniel, the poison, and the fire back at the camp.

"So, Daniel's gone now?" David asked, shoveling another dumpling into his mouth.

I shrugged. "Last time I was aware he was in the hospital back in Othosp. Who even knew that town was there?"

"So... you guys went through all that trouble? Just to save me?"

I groaned. "Yes, asshole. Don't think about it too much."

"I'm just happy that you took my fireproof bag. I went down to the station the other day and picked everything up, so thankfully nothing was damaged."

Of course it was fucking fireproof. "Well, do you finally believe me that Daniel is cultist?"

"Maybe, I dunno though."

"You have got to be shitting me! You're a moron." I put my focus back on my food and silence fell over the table.

I heard David clear his throat, then he began to speak. "Actually Max, I have something for you."

I followed David with my eyes as he retrieved a large yellow envelope off the counter. He slid it across the table towards me. I was hesitant at first, but David just nodded at me.

I swallowed my food and took the envelope in my hands. I opened it and slid out a few papers. I was confused at first, but then I saw what they said.

"You... you don't have to agree." David stuttured and stumbled over his words.

"Are these... fucking adoption papers?" My voice became shaky.

"Only if you want them to be. I get it if-"

"Yes." I cut him off. "Dear God yes..."

I looked back up at David as a tear escaped my eye.

"You won't ever have to see your parents again! We can go down there and pick up your stuff, then you can officially move in with me!"

I couldn't tear my eyes away from the forms in my hand. "How long have you been working on these?" I noticed all of the dates were different.

"Since before I ended up in the hospital."

I kept looking at the papers as my tears suddenly splashed off the pages. I heard David scoot out his chair and walk over to where I was. I looked up from the papers and saw him squatting in front of me, grinning ear-to-ear.

I tossed the papers to the ground and embraced David. "Th-thank you... thank you..."

"You've been through a lot recently- it's the least I could do." He returned the hug.

"We're even now, right? I saved your life, you adopt me. Now I can back to being my shitty self, right?

David chuckled. "I guess so, and hey, watch your language."

"I have never been more happy to hear those words."

"Welcome home, Max."

It was perfect. So perfect. Then we were interrupted.

A muffled version of Don't Stop Believing began to flood the house. David's face flushed red as he backed out of the hug.

"I gotta take this..." He said, digging around the couch for his cell phone.

He scooped up the phone and greeted the caller with a cheery 'hello'. I watched as David's facial expression dropped and his eyes grew large in confusion and shock.

That's when he spoke. "Daniel?! You're okay?!" 

-606 Words-