Screw ICU and Their Rules About Bonsai Trees

(5/10)

Max's POV (Once again, I'm sorry this chapter switches POV's so much. I promise the next chapter shouldn't be as bad)

By the time we had found the last note, the library was closing and we were forced to go home. My parents had gotten pissed off that I had been gone all day, even though if I had been here all day, they would have been mad at me for that.

I had suffered a beating, probably one of the worst ones I had ever gotten. Once they stopped, they told me to do a shit ton of chores. I did them, but apparently not good enough and received another beating for that.

I was doing something pretty dangerous, but I was going to risk it. I was standing in the hospital lobby, covered in cuts, bruises, and loads of injuries. Can't wait to get harassed by the nurses.

"Can I help you, little boy?" The lady at the desk said, grabbing my attention.

"I'm here to visit someone," I spat.

She adjusted the rings on her fingers and tapped the floor with her feet. "Do you have your parents with you to sign you in or anything?"

"No."

"Well, you aren't quite old enough-"

I leaped onto the counter and grabbed her lanyard which was dangling around her neck. "You will let me see him without any complications or I swear to god I will cause so much chaos in this hospital you'll be damned to hell."

Her eyes showed real fear and her lip began to quiver. "I uh- who are you visiting today?"

I released her lanyard and she turned in her chair to face her computer.

"His name is David."

"...last name?" She asked, her fingers hovering over the keys.

I actually didn't know David's last name. "He was admitted yesterday morning. Someone called it in because he wasn't waking up. He's 24. Wayyyy too happy. Anything else?"

"No-no. Just let me cross reference all of that..." She began to stumble over her words. "I uh, he's just recently been admitted to ICU-"

"To what?" I interrupted.

"Intensive Care Unit. It's on the third floor- room 319. Elevator is right over there." She raised a shaky hand and pointed across the room.

I glared at her one last time before making my way over to the elevator and shoved past the other people trying to get on.

"Watch it kid!" Someone sneered.

"Fuck off," I slammed my hand against the button for the third floor.

The lady who had yelled at me stared down at disbelief, but I just stuffed my hands into my hoodie pocket and grinned. The elevator dinged and I stepped out onto the ICU floor. Nurses and patients were bustling by, one with a cart full of food, one with a bucket of saline bags. One even walked by holding a small bonsai tree under his arm.

I walked slowly past the rooms, reading every number until I reached 319. There was a small whiteboard hanging on the door with the name 'Copse' scribbled on it. Of course David's last name had to do with the fucking forest.

Without even bothering to knock, I shoved open the door. I gasped, then gulped. Lying in a bed, tubes sprouting from his arms, was David.

"Max?" He said out of shock. His mouth turned to a smile, which didn't really fit the pale colour of his cheeks.

I gently closed the door behind me and walked over to where David was lying.

"How are you?" I asked, refusing to make eye contact.