XIV

On the dull, windy morning of November 14th, I walked into my maths class to be faced with Mr Simons forcefully shoving an exam paper down my throat while telling me to 'swallow the knowledge'.

It would have been fine any other day, but this particular day? Let's say it wasn't going well and he couldn't have picked a worse time.

I still felt exhausted after having a forty eight hour movie marathon with Lila and Harry for Halloween, and I could feel my teeth slowly decaying from the amount of sugar I ate that day.

Thorn had been not so subtly avoiding us, yet occasionally would come over and act as if nothing had changed.

Confusing, I know.

James and Ash had been acting particularly annoying while Alec and Cole began to slowly drift away from the group, however finding themselves lost without them.

I made my way over to my desk, thankful that Ash hadn't shown up yet, and took a seat before pulling a pen out.

What was it with teachers whipping out random tests at any given moment?

I scribbled my name and form down on the front before placing the pen back down until everyone else entered the room.

Sadly, Ash walked in next.

I kept my gaze down, not wanting to look at him directly, but as soon as I heard the scraping of the chair beside me, I sighed and squeezed the bridge of my nose.

"Hey there Sky." I could instantly tell how this lesson was going to go by his tone, which was deep and tormenting.

Not willing to give in to his vicious game, I ignored him and kept my eyes focused to the front of the class where Mr Simons was writing 50 in bold, black letters on the whiteboard.

Ash went to speak again, but was thankfully cut off by another voice.

"You have fifty minutes to complete the non-calculator test, and once you're done, you can check through your answers, draw, daydream or basically anything as long as it doesn't involve phones or talking. Got that? Good. Now begin."

As soon as he finished talking, the sound of people violently flipping paper could be heard throughout the whole room.

I grabbed my pen before beginning to note things down, making sure to keep checking I hadn't made a stupid mistake as that was my weak point, and answered the first four in under ten minutes.

Okay, going good so far.

Why do I always manage to jinx myself.

I suddenly felt a hand reach over and grip my thigh harshly, short nails digging into my skin through the material of the acid-washed jeans I was currently wearing. Since I knew this would happen anyway, I continued writing things down and focusing on the trigonometry question in front of me, knowing if I didn't give a reacting he would stop eventually.

Oh how I was wrong.

I should have realised that Ash wouldn't just 'give up'.

He'd keep at it until he got a reaction.

So once his long, slender fingers traced upwards, slipping underneath the mustard sweatshirt decorating my torso, I let out a noise of disapproval and grabbed his wrist, surprising him.

Just as I was about to push him away, an idea formed in my mind, and I couldn't help but smirk softly. As soon as I released his hand, I shuffled my chair closer to his silently, causing confusion to flash across his features.