XVIII

"Holy shitsticks, is that River Skyter?"

The second I stepped into the large, extremely hot room filled with masses of sweaty people, everything stopped.

People stopped dancing, drinks stopped being poured and music stopped being played; it felt as if the world had come to a sudden halt.

I wondered if it was because the news about Ash and Thorn trying to rip each other's eyes out due to me might have spread, but then quickly realised it was quite the opposite.

"I didn't know his body was that good? What the fuck?"

"Can you see how perfect his skin is? There's no way he doesn't exfoliate."

"Ooh I would totally tap that ass of his; I swear he's got more of it that ninety-nine percent of the girls in this school."

I let out an awkward chuckle, unsure whether to cower in embarrassment or try and hide behind Lila, when I suddenly remembered what I told myself.

Confidence. Get some more of it you nervous twig. Stop caring about whether people are judging you and do whatever the hell you want.

Clearing my throat, I let a bright smile spread across my lips and walked forward, straight through the crowd and into the middle of the dance floor.

Harry and Lila were close behind, followed by a few other smiling people known for being 'outcasts' or 'nerds' as the popular people liked to call them, and that somehow filled me with happiness.

"I don't know why you're all looking at us like you've just seen a bunch of hot people walk into a very badly decorated room, but get the music started before I go and do it myself."

With that, Nightmare by Halsey erupted around the room, sending everyone into a dancing and singing frenzy while I finally dropped my posture.

Turning to face Lila and Harry, I felt a tap on my shoulder and a few people emerged from the crowd.

"Hey River, we just wanted to say you look really good and we think that all those rumours that went around a while ago weren't real. You're too... nice to do anything like that."

My face stayed expressionless for way longer than what was thought socially acceptable, but once the information had sunk in, a light blush scattered over my cheeks.

"Thanks, that... that means a lot to me. You all look great too." I wasn't lying either, the girls looked cute in their matching purple dresses but the guys looked even better in the white suits.

Although, that was personal preference of course.

"Hey! Riv! I see you ran out of fabric, huh?" Scarletts voice grabbed my attention and I turned to find her in a long, sleek evergreen coloured dress with think straps and a length that just grazed the floor.

"Oh shut up. You clearly didn't have anything left for the back, there's nothing there." I taunted back, instantly feeling the playful tension hanging between us.

"Yeah, well. Whatever," she paused for a moment before grabbing my jacket, proceeding to pull me down to whisper something in my ear. "Though, I don't suppose you could grab Lilas attention, could you? She looks quite pretty tonight..."