m a h a l o ☾

maholo - thank you

 Making it to the top of that stupid ridge was probably the most excruciating thing Emerson has ever dealt with

Not that he can outright show his pain considering everyone else seems perfectly fine give or take a few scrapes and sweat marks on their clothes. Something very (very) deep inside of him almost regrets not taking Alex up on his offer to workout with him and/or try out for the football team together. Not that he will ever admit that because, he's sure, the urge to be physically fit will pass once this hike has come to an end.

Not to the mention that the fact that no one has spoken since his interaction with the tour guide except for Rosalind herself who will, every now and then, spit out a fun fact or steer someone away from some sort of poisonous plant. He knows he should apologize but he's not exactly sure what he should be apologizing for.

His inclination was more than fair considering she's being paid to do this. It's in his rights to question her abilities, correct? Maybe not seeing as none of his friends have reassured him of this.

When Claire falls back and walks slowly beside him, Emerson is relieved. That is until she opens her mouth.

"Why were you so rude to the tour guide? She seems nice enough." Her gentle inquiry is too low for anyone else to hear.

Emerson hangs his head, sighing in frustration as he lugs his backpack through the wild terrain, "It's not a matter of being nice, Claire. I wasn't trying to be rude, I was only asking perfectly understandable questions. I think that the only reason anyone is upset is because she's female and the person who's questioning her abilities is male. I'm not sexist, I'm a realist." He explains calmly, his throat parched once again.

She remains quiet for a moment as they walk alongside one another, birds above singing and chirping as they communicate with one another almost as if alerting each other of intruders, "I get what you're saying and...I'm used to you being no nonsense with us but...with strangers and people who are trying to help us, you should at least try to be more kind."

"Kindness isn't going to keep us from falling off a cliff and dying." He responds dryly before taking one look at her disapproving stare and sighing once again but this time in defeat, "Alright I'll apologize for being a pompous jerk and for questioning her judgment."

A smile spreads across Claire's lips before it reaches her dark eyes with a shining pride, "Thank you. I knew you would see it my way." She winks jokingly before laughing at the way his eyes roll at her statement.

"Sure, okay." He chuckles, shaking his head in amusement before stopping suddenly, the group ahead pausing for another break.