e p i l o g u e ☾

you know what an epilogue is.

  Emerson's fingers curl around Claire's petite hand as they help each other up onto the rock, the sound of flowing water entering his senses

"You got it?" He asks her with a teasing smile as she fights to stand up with a grunt.

"I'm fine." She huffs, pulling her hand from his.

It's only been a few days since they got back from Hawaii and, since he hasn't seen her in those few short but very long days, he's not sure exactly how to act around her anymore. But he's having fun finding out.

"Okay." He laughs, walking away and turning around slowly to face the water. The smile falls from his face as his mind is taken back to that day. The loud crack of his head hitting rock fights to overtake him but he clenches his fists and closes his jaw, his eyes closed together tightly as releases a slow breath to calm himself. When he opens them again she's next to him, a concerned expression on her fair face.

"Hey, you okay? You sure you want to do this?" She reaches for his arm, turning him towards her. His eyes remain locked on the moving water below and soon he feels her hand on his face, "Emerson."

"Sorry." He laughs nervously, looking down at their feet, "I guess I'm a little on edge."

"You don't have to do this, okay?" She reminds him softly, "If you feel this is something you need to do, great. I'm here with you whatever you decide. We have a nice lunch packed, we can always hide out in the car." Her smile and smooth tone relaxes his shoulders as he releases a low breath.

"No." He responds, taking her hands from his face and holding them in his own, "I think I need to do this."

"Okay." She nods, "Then let's do it." As soon as he releases her, she begins to pull her shorts down her legs and removes her t-shirt, tossing it aside, it begins to feel real. He's here. He's actually doing this.

Throwing his shirt off to the side with the rest or their belongings, he shakes his hands at his side to rid himself of nerves. He made sure to check the conditions and triple check that today is a safe day to jump.

"Ready?" He asks Claire as she takes his hand, looking a tad bit pale. She was never here with them before when they would make this jump almost every weekend during the summers so he guesses she may be a little nervous as well.

She simply nods, taking a deep breath before they both leap off of the side. They fall for what feels like forever before hitting the surface of the water. Emerson feels pure panic as he fights to kick upward.