w i w o o l e ☾

wiwo ole - courageous

yo i know it takes me an eternity to update but here it is.

Something Emerson wasn't expecting was to listen to two grown men laugh boisterously as they speak in a language he clearly doesn't understand

The fact that they keep looking back at him with smirks on their faces as the four of them trek through dry brush and muggy air, leads Emerson to believe they're discussing something involving himself personally. This irks him deeply.

"Hey." Rosalind speaks up, not noticing Peter and Randy's exchange, "I was thinking..."

"Yeah?" Emerson looks over with a squint, swatting away a mosquito in annoyance.

"You were pretty calm up there in that plane for being so afraid of heights." She smiles encouragingly up at him, the light hitting her hazel eyes.

His eyes land on his shoes as he continues to walk with deep breaths, his throat dry. "Who told you I was afraid of heights?"

She laughs, "Who do you think?"

"Alex." He mumbles angrily.

"What?" She asks, "No, actually, it was Claire."

"Seriously?" He pauses, for some reason feeling surprised, "Claire told you?"

Rosalind seems to realize the shock in his voice and is quick to add, "Well, to be fair, I asked. You didn't seem to enjoy hiking and the first time we went you didn't even take a look at the view. I was curious. I'm sorry if I crossed a line by asking."

"No no. It's fine I was just...a little surprised that she'd tell you. She's usually the only one in the group that would do seemingly anything to protect me." He laughs, shoving his hands in his pockets.

Rosalind remains quiet for a moment as she kicks a small pebble with the toe of her sneaker before saying, "Yeah she's pretty great. You're lucky to have so many people who care enough about you to push you to be better."

"More like who push me out of planes and up mountains." He snorts.

"Better than letting you spend your whole young life sitting in your room collecting dust." She smiles over at him with a squint before jogging forward to catch up with the guys.

Watching her go, a tug of annoyance twitches uncomfortably in his gut but it's mostly covered up by a sense of guilt. He knows how hard on his friends he is simply because they push him to reconsider his own decisions. But only when they believe that they're not going to end well for him. He can't necessarily blame them for thinking they're doing what's best for him.