h i l a h i l a ☾

hilahila - confusion

 Emerson thinks about knocking on Claire's hotel room door as soon as he enters the hallway but as his knuckles hover over the wood, he stops himself

With a sigh he backs up, his shoulder blades hitting the wall behind him before he slowly slides down, resting his elbows on his knees. His head sinks between his kneecaps, hands linked behind his head briefly before he becomes anxious and his fingers begin running themselves through locks of hair.

He doesn't know how long he sits in the hallway like that, head between his legs like a dog's tail between its own, but he stays there. Stays there as people walk by, not even giving him a second glance. Stays there when the phone begins to ring, Isaac's contact name illuminating the screen as he watches it vibrate against the dull carpet.

When the door suddenly opens, his head shoots up, his eyes meeting Claire's as she stares at him boldly. Almost as if nothing has happened. His lips part slightly as she watches him. She doesn't look as if she's been crying which consoles him.

"What are you doing?" She asks him, crossing her arms over her chest as she leans against the doorframe.

Quickly standing, he brushes off his pants awkwardly. "Uh...I was just thinking."

"You were thinking?" She asks him blandly.

"Yes."

"Out in the hallway." Her words are slow and drawn out. Her indifferent attitude brings even more confusion upon him. Why is she acting this way? He was expecting anger and hatred and possible begging for forgiveness. Yet here she is acting as if nothing has changed.

"I guess so, yeah." He laughs nervously, "So do you want to - "

"No." Her eyes harden immediately, "I don't want to talk."

Emerson doesn't know what to say at this point. She doesn't want to talk yet she expects him to act as if nothing has happened? He needs to at least know that they're on the same page. If he could only figure out what page he's even on that is.

"Oh." He replies, not being able to look her in the eye, "Well then what - "

"Just come in here you dork." She rolls her eyes, stepping aside and holding the door open for him.

He stares into the room, not quite sure what her intentions are at the moment. "You know you've really got to stop interrupting me." He  says lowly, smiling with relief when she gives him a flat look, a small smirk appearing.