Chapter 9

Cinderella could hardly contain her excitement and nervousness as she waited at the entrance of the Pokémon battle arena. She and her Pokémon had the blue corner for their spot. They could hear the announcer talking outside to announce the beginning of the finals.

Her Pokémon had finished their warmups and meditation. Ariel and Bella were waiting while Rex and Mikey continued to warm up. Rose was standing at her side, fidgeting a lot. She looked to be very nervous. This was going to be her first battle in the Pokémon League, but she still wasn't used to offensive combat. Valiant noticed this.

"Are you nervous, Rose?" he asked.

Rose nodded. "A little..."

"It's alright." said Valiant, "I felt the same way before my first Pokémon League battle."

"Really?" said Rose, surprised, "Did you win?"

Valiant chuckled. "Of course not. That was many years ago when I was a Riolu. I've come a long way since then."

Just then, they heard the announcer. "NOW, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, HERE ARE OUR FINALISTS! IN THE BLUE CORNER, SHE'S BEAUTIFUL, MYSTERIOUS, AND UNSTOPPABLE! OUR FIRST FEMALE FINALIST EVER, IT'S THE MASKED MAIDEN!"

The crowd cheered as Cinderella stepped out into the arena of the Colosseum. Rose and Valiant stood by her sides as Ariel, Rex, Mikey, and Bella walked in behind them. Cinderella felt her heart beating faster as she started to get a little nervous. Valiant comforted her with a paw on her shoulder and a smile.

"AND IN THE RED CORNER, HE'S A MASTER OF POKÉMON AND THE BATTLEFIELD, OUR UNDEFEATED CHAMPION OF FOUR YEARS! THE CROWN PRINCE HIMSELF, IT'S HIS ROYAL HIGHNESS, PRINCE PHILIP!"

The crowd cheered again as a young man in a royal black uniform and capette came out from the entrance of the red corner. At his side, he had an Umbreon with the blue riband of the Order of the Aurum. Behind him, a Sceptile, an Escavalier, a Gallade, a shiny Rapidash, and a shiny Dragonite walked behind with the same ribands.

Then Cinderella saw her opponent's face and her heart fluttered.

Standing in the red corner was her friend, Philip.

That Philip? That handsome, kind man she had been meeting with all these years was the prince?

She looked into Philip's eyes across the field. He looked to be just as surprised to see her. As the Masked Maiden, that was. Cinderella was very pleased about the truth behind her friend's identity, but at the same time, she was nervous. She was going to have to defeat him to win, and his Pokémon were strong and well-trained.

"WILL THE MASK MAIDEN BECOME OUR FIRST FEMALE CHAMPION EVER?" called the announcer, "OR WILL OUR CROWN PRINCE BE ABLE TO DEFEND HIS TITLE FOR THE FIFTH YEAR IN A ROW? THERE'S ONLY ONE WAY TO FIND OUT, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! TRAINERS, SHAKE HANDS!"

Cinderella and Philip walked up to each other. She held out her hand. Normally, the opposing trainers would shake hands before a match. When Philip took her hand though, he brought it to his lips and kissed the back of her hand. This caused a stir within the audience.

Cinderella felt her cheeks blush. She was used to be greeted with a kiss on the hand, but this one was different. Her heart was pounding in her chest, almost like it was ready to burst. But at the same time, she felt warm and happy inside. Something that didn't happen when other men greeted her this way.

It took a moment for Cinderella to find her voice.

"Your Pokémon look well-trained and cared for, Your Highness," she said, "I wish you the best of luck in our battle."