Chapter 22

After that, Prince Philip did not leave Cinderella's side. He stayed only with her for the rest of the evening, and Alex stayed with Rose likewise. So did Erik and Patricia. They danced every dance together and they had tag team battles together and won every time.

During that time, Erik's parents angrily confronted the stepmother. It led to a pretty ugly argument. The stepmother made such a scene that the royal guards had to step in and separate the parents. The Archduke made them take it outside the ballroom and decided to join in to see what was going on. The two couples laughed at the scene, and the rest of the guests applauded as they could finally get back to dancing. After that, the stepmother didn't bother the two couples anymore.

At dinner, Cinderella sat next to Philip with the King, Queen, Archduke, and some of the court's highest nobles and their wives. She invited Sabrina, Patricia, Erik, Katelyn, and Bianca to sit with them. The Pokémon sat at their own tables with the same meals and service. Alex invited Cinderella's Pokémon to sit with him along with Grovyle, Furfrou, Delcatty, and the rest of Philip's Pokémon. Rose then asked for a Purrlion servant to invite the stepsisters' and Erik's Pokémon to join them.

"Thank you for letting us accompany you, My Lord," Blair said to Alex.

"Oh, it was Lady Sylveon who requested your company," Alex replied.

The Pokémon were surprised that this Sylveon was so kind to let them sit with the prince's Pokémon.

"Thank you," said Blair, "You are most kind. But why? After what our trainer's mother did?"

"The battle is over and done with." said Valiant, "Let it all be in the past."

"I'm afraid our mistress's mother won't take her lost quite fondly." said Gloria, "The last time we didn't live up to her expectations, she locked us in the cellar for three days."

"You mean you were punished?" said Erik's Machoke, shocked.

"Yes," said Buttons, "Now she's likely to do it again. Maybe for a week this time."

"You shouldn't despair for what she'll do." said Rose, "Enjoy the ball while you can. Cherish tonight like it's a once in a lifetime chance."

"You really think so?" asked Emerald, surprised.

Rose smiled. "Of course."

And with that, everyone began their meal. Tonight's dinner had eight courses with bread served throughout the meal. The first course was a set of hors-d'oeuvres with caviar, followed by an Unfezant jelly with meat and eggs. Next was a Tamato berry soup with mint. Then came a dish of Finneon Meunière with Nomal wedges and butter followed by the main course of either roasted Sawbuck veal, crown of Gogoat ribs, or Tauros stake with artichokes and potatoes. The fruit course was a delicacy of Oran, Pecha, and Sitrus berries. Next was various Skiddo and Moo Moo cheeses with dried berries and nuts. Finally, came the desserts of cake, pudding, chocolates, and other sweets.

Cinderella and her Pokémon showed excellent manners during dinner. They placed their napkins in their laps, knew which silverware to use, and washed their hands or paws in the finger bowls before dessert. Rose shared her Oran wedges and Pecha berries with Emerald and Blair. During dessert, Cinderella shared her sweets with her friends and stepsisters.

Throughout the meal, everyone talked of nothing but the beautiful, mysterious Masked Maiden who had charmed the prince with her Sylveon and Mega Pokémon. Many believed that she was the Archduke's daughter or possibly a princess. The stepmother sat alone at her table, grumbling angrily under her breath.

After dinner, Philip and Cinderella had a few more dances in the ballroom. At eleven o' clock, Erik surprised everyone by getting down on one knee and proposing to Patricia in the middle of the ballroom. Of course, Patricia said yes, and the guests congratulated the newly-engaged couple. The stepmother stormed off in a huff at this. Cinderella and her Pokémon also gave them their blessings. Even the King and Queen, and the Archduke congratulated them. Everyone got excited wondering if Philip would propose to the Masked Maiden as well.