Chapter 18

Cinderella fled outside to the gardens, collapsed on a bench, and burst out crying. She had been so forward to going to the ball to meet Philip and now her only way in and ride there was gone. She felt so hurt and unhappy. Lester, Rex, and Mikey glared after the carriage as it disappeared down the road.

"Alright, that's it!" said Lester, enraged, "This has gone way too far!"

Rex growled angrily. "I am going to take that witch and burn her to ashes!"

"Electrocute her!" yelled Matt.

"Yeah!" said Chase.

Valiant blocked the Pokémon mob as they started to charge.

"ENOUGH! ALL OF YOU!" he shouted.

"Have you lost your mind?!" shouted Mikey in disbelief, "That woman tore Ella's invitation, ruined her necklace, and left without us!"

"Cinderella's so crushed, she's inconsolable!" said Matt.

"I know what Victoria did was cruel and despicable." said Valiant calmly, "I understand that well. But attacking her out of anger isn't going to solve anything. What's more important is to find a way to help Ella get to the ball. We'll bring the invitation and tell them what happened."

Rose, Ariel, and Bella were all gathered around Cinderella, trying to console her. All of her Pokémon friends watched nearby, saddened. They worked so hard to help her go to the ball and all their efforts had been in vain.

"It's alright, Ella," said Bella.

"I was so looking forward to going to the ball!" Cinderella cried, "How can I go on being kind if I can't be brave?"

"Don't cry, Cinderella." said Rose, "Don't give up hope."

"But there's nothing to hope for!" wept Cinderella, "Nothing!"

"That's not true!" said Rose, "There's always hope, even when it seems there is none. You've been telling us that all this time. At the Pokémon League, you told me that when I was in despair. You gave me the strength to stand back up and win. And now it's time I said the same to you."

Rose snuggled into Cinderella's arms.

"We'll find a way for us to go to the ball. No matter what it takes to get through this, I will always stand at your side and help you because you're my friend. And I love you."

Cinderella hugged Rose, still crying. "I love you, too..."

Suddenly, Rose's body began to glow a brilliant blue light. The others stared and gasped in surprise.

"Rose!" gasped Cinderella.

"W-What's going on?" asked Bella.

Valiant knew what was happening. "Could it be...?"

Rose's body began to grow. Her fur collar was replaced with long ribbons, her fluffy tail became thinner and longer, and her ears and head changed with more ribbons. When the light faded away, Rose's fur had changed from tan and cream to white and pink. She was no longer an Eevee.

"Rose!" said Cinderella, "You evolved!"

Rose jumped down from Cinderella's arms and looked herself over.

"I'm a Sylveon!" she said in her new grownup, Pokémon voice, "But how? What caused me to evolve?"

"Eevee has many evolved forms." said Valiant, "They only evolve into Sylveon when they become close and affectionate towards a beloved being. Particularly someone with a pure heart."