Chapter 13: Il Minjoon

The crackling of wood echoed as the flame engulfs the whole lumber, casting a bright orange glow throughout the small, bricked room.

The old man squatted in front of the fireplace holding a long metal rod, slowly grilling the fish. A palatable aroma replaced the once putrid smell while the bait was being cooked, slowly turning brown.

The two people sitting around the small table were silent, patiently waiting for the food to be cooked.

They had been traveling for almost a day nibbling on snacks, the bumpy road combined with the rough stony trail they've trekked made them hungry. It was high time they had a proper meal.

Minutes passed and alas, the fish was already cooked! The old man brought the fish and placed it on a fresh leaf, onto the wooden table. He turned and walked towards the fireplace, getting the covered basket and the wooden plates beside it.

After arranging the food and plates, he settled himself on a wooden chair facing the pair. His aged eyes wrinkled as the corner of his lips turned upwards forming a pleasant smile.

"Forgive this old man for not doing the dishes. I wasn't able to wash the spoon and fork. For now, eat with your hands."

Then the old man started to eat. Using his bare hands, he broke a portion of the steaming fish, putting it on his plate. It was done so naturally that it looked as if the fish had already cooled. Yet it was still freshly cooked, the piping steam obviously rising out of the fish.

He opened the basket, rice greeting their eyes. The old man scooped the rice with his hands and ate.

Having been used to this, Yoonjae also did the same, both men now eating with their hands.

Hae Gi stilled as she looked at them, her eyes blinking, slightly surprised.

Yoonjae tensed as he was about to eat a handful of rice. He looked at Hae Gi with his face contorted, his eyebrows furrowed. He closed his mouth as his lips compressed. This was normal for him and his teacher. As men, proper etiquette and poise weren't expected of them. At the same time, he was aware that for women these type of things are crucial. They determine a woman's standing, education, prowess, and beauty, among other things.  These things dictate whether a woman is likable or not.

Sadly, eating with bare hands wasn't listed as proper etiquette.

This woman was fed using a golden spoon. He was reminded that Hae Gi was once the crown princess of the Il Kingdom. With that thought, Yoonjae became distressed. 

As Yoonjae was about to stand and look for some clean utensils, Hae Gi used her hands to scoop some rice.

The old man suddenly choked, coughing loudly. His eyes watered as he hunched over the side of the table, his shoulder shaking.

After a while, the old man cleared his throat. Waving his hand nonchalantly, he continued to eat, as if nothing happened.