Chapter 48 : Archer Coleman

The snow gently fell from the sky, entrapping greens and browns, even greys in its white embrace.

Lamps lit the darkening place. Creating a mystical glow as people walked past wearing heavy coats and mittens, some stopping by a huge golden sled with a big sack at its back, eagerly waiting in line to be placed upon the bearded man's lap.

Isabelle watched through the somewhat frosted glass of the cafe, her cheeks pressed on the palms of her hand, her elbow placed on the warm oak table.

She saw a child running up to the bearded man, her rosy cheeks raised up in a smile, her arms opening wide as she was lifted, probably describing the gifts that she wants for Christmas.

She saw the bearded man merrily laughing, his gaze meeting with the child's parents then continued to laugh, acting like nothing was wrong.

The child left with her parents and another child came in, repeating the cycle all over again.

Isabelle blinked languidly, her gaze shifting down as she fiddled with her book. She turned on her wrist, looking at the time, then tapped her fingers on the table, pursing her lips.

'He still isn't here.'

With a sigh, she reached for a cup, the hot steam warming her face.

She sipped, feeling the hot rich drink go down her throat, the sweet velvety taste spreading across her tongue.

"This is the best."

The mug met the wooden surface, nimble fingers skimming the thick cover of her sketchbook.

A slight rustle sounded as her fingers turned the pages, until it stopped, stopping on a particular page.

Various sketches full of vibrant colors, even notes with a bunch of arrows and cloths pinned by a gold round-headed fastener, sticking every patch in place.

Her fingers traced the page that seemed out of place, its edges held firm by transparent tape. 

Her eyes gazed at the all too familiar lines and strokes drawn using crayons, the childish doodles making her reminisce on the past.

The event's theme was 'Childhood Dream.'

Isabelle had a tough time thinking of her take on the theme. She constantly drew on her sketchbooks, writing her ideas, always coming up with a new design.

But she always disregarded it. Somehow, it did not feel right.

That was until she realized her 'Childhood Dream.'

When Isabelle was a child, she had an enormous set of barbie dolls.

She liked to dress them up, play with them until she got bored.

She gave that up after a while.

The child Isabelle felt discontent with the clothes that her barbie dolls had now. She wanted something new, and she already had something in mind.

She tried to tell her parents, and they bought her some but it wasn't the style she wanted.

Her child self used to pout all the time, feeling frustrated that her parents couldn't identify the clothes she wanted.

That's why her Papa told her, 

'Why don't you draw it for us to see?'

And she did. She drew and sketched using her crayons, making her designs come to life.

Those sketches. The sketches that Isabelle drew when she was a child. Those were her 'Childhood Dreams.'

And they were at her parent's house.