Chapter 27 : Siegfried de Chauvegné

The sun lifts itself up in the sky, it's rays coloring the horizon, and inside a dimly lit room.

Bit by bit the light shone. At first, it touched the carpet, then the wooden frame. It hugged the cotton sheets, then the pillow. And finally, it fell upon a woman's face.

She winced from the bright warm light, her lashes fluttering as she tried to open her eyes.

So light and beautiful, making you think of the light blue sky.

So are her eyes.

Her orbs became dewy as she yawned, teardrops falling from the corner of her eyes. She stretched her hands out, her stiff bones popping from the movement.

She tried to lift her body up, propped by her elbow. Her hair cascaded down the pillow, now softly touching the sheets.

With the sun's rays, her brunette hair brought out a red hue, making it look golden.

She watched the man beside her, still in deep sleep.

His hair was like coal, it's color a strong black. His warm skin looked a bit pale as it was not touched by the sun's rays.

He was lying on his side, facing her, his towering figure hugged by the soft warm sheets.

She lied on the bed again, her lustrous blue eyes staring at the man's peaceful face.

She lay on her side, her hands kept tightly on her chest. She was afraid of her unruly hands that would, at times, compulsively move without her knowledge.

The man slumbered silently, looking in peace. The deep crease and little frown on his face were now gone.

She knew this man, she was familiar with him. Yet at the same time, she did not know what he was thinking.

She knew him, but at the same time, she doesn't.

They say a person's eyes speak of their soul - their emotions. But how could she glimpse at his soul when she couldn't even see his eyes?

His emotions, his thoughts, how could she see when he couldn't even let her take a peek.

This cold prideful man, hardened by war, she wished to know. 

"You're near, yet so far."

Only a step away, but worlds apart. 

The woman closed her eyes once again, now facing away from the scorching light that disturbed her sleep.

And she slept once again.

A few minutes passed and the woman was already in deep sleep.

The man who was said to be in deep sleep opened his eyes.

Within his silver orbs, spoke countless words. Words that he couldn't express.

His eyes held some warmth, taking in the sight before him.

He was looking at the woman beside him, her brown hair that now looked golden was now in a mess.

Her cracked lips were open, her soft snores heard by his ears.

Her face was devoid of any color, only her cheeks had a soft red glow from the cold.

She looked plain, with her coarse brown hair, her fair skin that had a few bumps and scars here and there, her pale lips that had bits of skin peeled off, and her wrists and palms full of veins.

He could see all her flaws, flaws that he never would have thought would be in his wife, for he never would have thought to have a spouse of all things.