Chapter 34 : Siegfried de Chauvegnè

Annoyance could be seen in a pair of amber eyes as it watched the woman sitting on a chair not too far away from the counter.

The lips of a man grimaced as his amber eyes darted from the almost empty bowl of crackers to the empty tray by the counter.

A sharp crunch of something being chewed came from the woman by the table.

Apparently, the woman stole all the crackers.

Louis glanced up to the ceiling then closed his eyes. He sniffled, mumbling incoherent words.

Those crackers, he was planning to sell them.

He opened his eyes a bit, glancing at the woman about to eat another cracker. He shut his eyes and sighed.

But looking at the almost empty bowl, it was already impossible.

While Louis was currently despairing over his crackers, Diana was busy thinking.

'What should I do?'

Pale fingers drummed on the table, freezing hands reaching for a cracker as time ticked past.

Diana's eyes blinked, staring blankly ahead. She leaned on the back of her chair with her legs crossed.

"Lady de Chauvegné, you might get indigestion by eating too much."

Louis exclaimed with a tight smile, slamming the cup of piping hot tea on the table.

Diana's fingers halted for a second, then continued to reach for the bowl full of crackers.

"Ah."

The once full bowl of crackers was now empty.

Louis regretfully sighed, shaking his head. He leaned forward with his elbows touching his knees, his hands grasping his head.

"My business. My money. It's all gone."

Diana could clearly hear what Louis was saying but decided to ignore it. She had a pouch full of gold from her separation pay.

"How about my taxes? My ingredients? How can I pay for them now..."

Meanwhile, Louis was still silently weeping.

Pay.

Yes, that's it!

Diana's eyes lit up, a thought flashing in her mind.

Louis stopped grumbling and sat up straight. He raised the cup and sipped the tea, his mind becoming awake. 

His eyes flickered to Diana, looking straight into her eyes.

"Forgive me Lady De Chauvegné but I would have to go after this.

I suggest you go home early. I can't entertain you."

Diana's brows knitted together. Leaning her elbow on the table, she rested her cheek on her palm.

"Where are you going?"

Louis smiled earnestly.

"Around somewhere."

She frowned, raising an eyebrow.

"Why?"

Gulping down the tea, Louis sighed in contentment.

"I need men."

Diana stiffened, her whole body becoming rigid.

Louis had a contented smile on his face as the tea warmed his body. His eyes focused on Diana once again.