Chapter 37 : Siegfried de Chauvegné

"Can I just... take the leash for a while?"

"I would have to refuse milady."

A woman dressed in a black nun outfit was peeking from the small wooden covered wagon, biting her lip.

"I mean... Just for a moment? Please?"

A middle-aged man with brown hair sighed, his dark clothes with a white cross on the center rustled as he urged the horse to go faster.

"May I remind you that you are a 'sister' right now, a sister, not a coachman milady."

Diana was squirming on her seat, her body feeling restless from sitting too long. She pouted, sulking. She just wanted to hold the reigns for a change.

Alas, she could only sigh, feeling a little bit irked.

The brown-haired man, the guard from the dungeon before, squinted his eyes.

"We're almost there."

Diana turned her head, extending her neck. She could see a massive arched gate built from iron and stone, spiked metal bars adorning the top.

It was so humongous that the sea of people coming in could easily stroll through, even with the rows in line.

If the gate was tall, then the walls were widely thick, extending towards vast fields and even mountains, its grey bricks dyed with dark green moss, along with thick leafy vines, looking very ancient.

The horses neighed, coming to a stop. They stood in front of a long line of travelers coming from various places, some nobles, some merchants, and others having carriages similar to theirs.

Now, all they have to do is wait.

"Next!"

A guard approached a wooden covered wagon, about to speak to the man acting as its driver.

"Good day sir, business in the capital?"

The guard was still scribbling in his notebook, not noticing who was in front of him.

"A blessed day my friend. I have come, along with one of our sisters, on this wonderful day to teach the young ones the will of the gods."

The guard stiffened, stopping his scribbling. Looking up, he saw a gentle smile of a priest looking at him blessedly.

The guard suddenly stood straighter than before then bowed his head to the priest, smiling happily.

"Good day father, I didn't know you were coming- You should've informed us much earlier, I didn't bring anything for you."

The priest waved his hand, the gentle smile still etched on his face, looking holy as ever.

"Never you mind dear friend. As long as you trust in the gods with all thy heart and have faith, you shall always be guided and blessed by their love."

It just so happened that the guard was a pious follower of the church, so as expected, he bowed his head even more, feeling very blessed.

And thus, both 'sister' and 'priest' entered the capital.

Once they've parked their wagon, Diana's eyes couldn't help but twitch as she looked at her supposed personal guard.

The said guard was dusting his clothes, muttering a tsk as he spotted a speck of dust on his shoulder. Finally, he noticed Diana looking at him.

He smiled, again, that gentle 'holy' smile.

"Yes sister?"

Diana deadpanned. Taking a deep breath, she sported a similar smile, this one looking even more holy than his.