Smile and cuddle

Third person POV

Time skip to JDs Birthday

A few days had passed since Veronica and JD met Ellie. And day by day JD and Ellie became best of friends, she kept JD "in check" while she was in school as Veronica had told her. They trio spent Ellie's birthday at seven eleven as soon as Veronica returned from school. Now, it was JD's Birthday.
It was eight o'clock in the morning. Normally, Veronica would be in school, but today, October 3, 1989 was a special day. The sounds of hospital machines and footsteps echoed throughout the hallway. Neither of which seemed to wake JD who was sleeping in his hospital bed in his clothes, or Ellie, who was sleeping on the chair because Jesse had to work overnight.
"Good morning." Veronica Said softly, pressing her lips onto JD's. His eyes fluttered open, with a look of shock on his face which quickly turned to confusion when he saw his beautiful Veronica. "Good morning, Ronica." JD whispered, scooting over making room for Veronica to come lay next to him. "Shouldn't you be in school?" He asked, pulling her closer to him. "Nope." Veronica replied, " my mom let me stay, happy birthday." JD smiled and kissed the top of her head. "I haven't had a birthday in a long time" he admitted, his smile slowly fading, "My dad stopped caring when my mom died."

(flash back)

"Mama! Mama! I'm eight!" Said a young JD, jumping on his parents bed, dressed in a dinosaur onesie.
"Happy Birthday, baby!" Exclaimed his Mother, "You're so big now!
"Where's daddy?" The boy asked, his mother's smiled faded, "he had to work, but me and you get to spend the whole day together!" JD smilled, not really understanding why his father always had to be at work.

End of flashback

"Are you okay?" Veronica asked, noticing JD had been silently crying as he twirled his fingers in her hair. "Yeah." He lied, "I'm okay."

JDs POV

It was weird to have someone remember my birthday....as strange as that sounds. My father either never remembered or cared that it was my birthday, and soon enough neither did I. There was a year I forgot I turned fifteen until the day after my sixteenth birthday.
Veronica and I cuddled on my bed for a while, with her dozing on and off. "Are you feeling okay?" I asked, she seemed more pale than usual and drained. "Yeah" she groaned, half asleep "just been tired lately." I knew something was bothering her, she'd been acting different for the past few days, but I figured it was best to not ask her now. We were both enjoying this moment.
"Ronica!" Ellie exclaimed, jumping out of the chair. "Hey, kiddo!" Veronica giggled with her head laying on my chest. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY JD!" Screamed the little girl, as she jumped up and down on the end of the bed. "Thanks kiddo!" I replied, in awe over her enthusiasm. "Ronica has a surprise for you!"
"Oh really?" I smirked looking down at Veronica. "And what might that be?" Veronica sat up and her and Ellie smirked at each other "I'm getting you out of here" She said, "and not just to seven eleven!" I gave the two girls a confused look, "for how long?" I asked, hoping it would be forever. As much as I was starting to look forward to seeing Jesse, Ellie and Dr.Smith each day, I wanted to be in school with Veronica, only so I could protect her.. I definitely wasn't missing being in Westerberg.
"Only for the day, you have to be back here by nine o'clock tonight. My parents reserved us all a table for dinner." I smiled at her, as stupid as it sounded, I had never been more excited in my life.

Veronicas POV

My parents picked up JD, Ellie and I after breakfast so we could go back to my house and Jesse could meet us there for dinner. JD seemed weird around my parents, which usually I would deem normal since this was the first time he was really meeting my parents, but he seemed ashamed. He was quiet in the car, and would only give short or one word answers to them and even Ellie. I squeezed his hand and he looked over at me from his blank gaze at the window and flashed a quick smile and continued to stare off into space. "What does your house look like?" Ellie asked, who was next to me since I was in the middle of her and JD in the backseat. "Well" I replied "Downstairs there's a kitchen and a living room with a TV and Upstairs there's my room, my Mom and Dads room and a guest room."
Ellie gasped "You have stairs in your house?" I nodded, "I live in a big house but there's a bunch of big rooms that has other people. In my big room, Momma amd share a bedroom and we have a fridge and couch in the other room. Oh! And a bathroom with a bathtub!" I chuckled at Ellies remark, assuming she didn't understand how apartment buildings work.